Your Manners Aren’t as Good as You Think They Are

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

There are certain things that everyone was taught as a child in order to be polite. Things your mom probably said to you like: chew with your mouth closed, or treat others the way you want to be treated. However, as we grow up, many of us seem to forget these simple, yet impactful habits. it’s about time you all remember, because it’s driving everyone crazy. When you forget the little things, it shows that your manners are nowhere near as good as you think they are.

Now, I’m not talking about the type of manners where you go out of your way to be polite, although that’s always a good thing. I’m talking about things like saying please and thank you, or holding the door open for the person behind you. Nothing crazy, just what every decent human being ought to know how to do. I understand that it can be easy to make mistakes, we are human after all. But there comes a point where a lack of simple manners shows true character.

It is a guaranteed fact that if you do one of the following, you drive me, and many others insane. Wonder what we’re thinking? Here are ten of the rudest pet peeves and my reactions.

Audible chewing: Please, just stop. How hard is it to keep your mouth closed?

Cutting someone off in traffic and slowing down: The ultimate d*** move. Congrats, you’re one car length ahead of me. You win at life.

Getting on a full bus before people have the chance to get off: I’m guessing you didn’t want a seat then?

Speaking at an unnecessarily high volume. Wow, total stranger, I really wanted to know how your doctor kept you waiting for forty five minutes so you ended up being late to your class today.

Friends speaking at an unnecessarily high volume to each other. The whole world doesn’t need to know my secrets so shush!

Limp handshakes: I feel like I just shook hands with a lifeless corpse.

Never communicating: How hard is it to let someone know what you’re thinking? Or simply text them back?

Refusing to pay someone back: Just have some integrity, please.

Fishing for compliments: It is completely okay to feel good about yourself and know your worth. You don’t need anyone to validate it.

Discounting the hardships of others: You never know what someone is going through. Your molehill may be their mountain, remember to be patient and have respect.

It is well known that being the polite never goes out of style. Sure, it can be easy to slip up every now and then. But if you compose yourself and be respectful to those who deserve, no one will be the wiser of your mistakes. So please try to pay attention to those bad habits of yours, and accept constructive criticism, as long as it’s delivered kindly. Sometimes bad manners just make you look like an inconsiderate person.

California native transplanted in Utah.I love sushi and hate seafood. I understand I'm strange, let's just accept it and move on.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor