This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

When you hear Iran, you think war and Sharia Law. I understand — from the time we were kids the news has been bombarding us with warnings about the Middle East and how violent it is. There  is a lot that needs to be fixed there and it is far from perfect, but it isn’t as bad as we think. As an Iranian who has recently visited the country, there is a lot that I feel people should know about it. There is culture, and great food, people, and history in an Iran that is being overlooked. It was recently the Iranian New Year, so this is the perfect time to give you a guide to all things Iran!

Food

Oh my god the FOOD. Iranian food is arguably one of the best types of food in the world. Seriously, ask anyone. Iranian food consists a lot of kabob, stews, rice, and tea. The photo above was taken in a nice restaurant in Shiraz, Iran while I was visiting Persepolis. Not only is Persian food delicious, it is generally pretty healthy, too. If you have the chance, try and go to a Middle Eastern restaurant and just see what all the commotion is about.

The Iranian culture is rich and beautiful. The people are warm and loving, and it reflects in their day to day lives. Pictured above is a Bazaar in Shiraz. The Bazaar has different things like food, clothes, bags, spices, rugs, and more. It is a great place to shop and also a great place to bargain. ,

Iranian women are required to wear hijab because of Islamic law but that does not stop fashion. Shown above are examples of the types of fashion Iranian women wear with their required dress and even how loosely they follow the regulations. It is more relaxed than people think ,and women can wear their head scarfs loosely on their head and can have generally short coats. Recently there have been women protesting this by removing their head scarfs in busy parts of town. It is very possible that Iran can see a dramatic change in their laws and regulations in the next few decades.

Farsi is the official language in Iran, but many more languages and dialects are also seen. Poetry is extremely valued in Iran and famous poets such as Saadi Shirazi and Hafez have tombs open to the public that are frequently visited. Persian rugs are also extremely popular internationally and have become a sign of style and class. 

Hafez’s Tomb

History 

Iran’s history is just as rich and colorful as its culture. Pictured above is a part of the ruins of Persepolis, the historical capital of the Achaemenid Empire. Alexander the Great invaded Iran in 300 BC and destroyed and burned the palace which led to the fall of the Achaemenid Empire. 

There are many other examples of Iran’s history still preserved today, such as in Esfehan where there is a large Mosque that housed kings and princes of the past. 

I could go on about Iran and its treasures but I want to leave some for you to find out for yourself. If you find yourself visiting Iran, know that you will be welcomed with open arms and treated with amazing hospitality. Iran is beautiful with many sights and cities to see that all offer different things. There is the ocean, the jungle, the desert, and the city. Tehran, the capital of Iran, is very modern with many things like skiing and amusement parks to entertain you as well as great shopping. Iran isn’t the backward, horrible place that it is shown to be, but is rapidly modernizing and beautiful.

Photo sources: 

Persian rug: Short URL : http://goo.gl/H1QHC7 

Hafez Tomb: http://orujtravel.com/en/attraction/tomb-of-hafez/

Iranian women: https://www.quora.com/How-well-has-Persian-culture-been-preserved-under-…

Food: https://surfiran.com/iran-plate-iran-food-travel-guide/

HI there! My name is Ailee and I am a political science and sociology double major at the University of U! I want to get into law school and I love to write!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor