timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your 2017 Music Festival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Whether you’re an avid music festival goer, or live vicariously through everyone else’s Instagram posts, here’s this year’s biggest festivals with the best lineups in the US:

1. Governors Ball            

Where: New York City

When: June 2nd-4th

How much it’s going to cost you: 3-Day General Admission tickets are currently $305

“A festival with a New York heart.” – The New York Times.

Governors Ball began six years ago, as the festival’s creator stated the city needed and deserved, a contemporary music festival. The festival features over sixty artists, all from varying genres, so there’s something for everyone…not to mention a wide selection of delicious food options, proving NYC as the foodie capital of the world.

2. Panorama

Where: New York City

When: July 28th-30th

How much it’s going to cost you: 3-Day General Admission tickets are currently $282

Sometimes referred to Coachella’s East Coast counterpart, and following Governors Ball, Panorama is not to be missed. The festival focuses on combining music with technology, to create a hub of entertainment and innovation.

3. Rolling Loud 

Where: Miami, FL

When: May 5th-7th

How much it’s going to cost you: 3-Day General Admission tickets are currently $250

The annual hip-hop music festival whose lineup certainly didn’t disappoint. This year, the festival expanded to three days (versus one day as it was in the past) to fit in its impressive lineup, including headliners such as Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, and Travis Scott.

4. Boston Calling 

Where: Allston Massachusetts

When: May 26th-28th

How much it’s going to cost you: 3-Day General Admission tickets are currently $270

Boston Calling combines music, film, and visual arts to create an unforgettable, three-day experience. The festival promises many surprises throughout the weekend. If you’ve been itching to visit Massachusetts, this year is the year to do it, as Boston Calling revealed one of its best lineups yet.

5. Coachella 

Where: Indio, California

When: April 14-16, 21-23

How much it’s going to cost you: Coachella 2017 Passes are no longer available through the official website, but you can always try your luck on sites like StubHub.

Of course, we have to talk about Coachella; I’m sure if you have any form of social media whatsoever, you’ve already heard an earful. As a Coachella veteran, I can confirm Coachella is something every music lover should try to experience at least once- so start searching for tickets on second-hand websites, or start planning for next year. The star-studded music and arts festival features a spectacular lineup, including Beyoncé who just announced she was pregnant with twins…should be interesting.

6. Austin City Limits 

Where: Austin, Texas

When: October 6th-8th

How much it’s going to cost you: Typically, ACL tickets go for around $300

Though the 2017 line-up hasn’t been released yet, ACL festival is known to deliver an amazing, diverse lineup every year, offering over 110 bands performing on eight stages. This year, the festival decided to follow in the footsteps of Coachella, making it two weekends instead of one.

7. Bonnaroo 

Where: Manchester, Tennessee  

When: June 8th-11th

How much it’s going to cost you: 4-Day General Admission tickets currently are $324

Known for the happy camper atmosphere, Bonnaroo brings 150 feel-good performers on over ten stages. The festival features not only music acts, but also comedy, a silent disco, and the Bonnaroo Cinema. “Bonnaroo” is Creole slang for “Good Stuff” and you’ll certainly find plenty of that at this festival.

8. Hangout Fest  

Where: Gulf Shores, Alabama

When: May 19th-21st

How much it’s going to cost you: 3-Day general admission tickets currently are $289

Grab your bathing suit and head out to the Gulf Shores for hangout fest! What’s better than listening to your favorite music while on the beach with your best friends? The festival has more than just music, adding volleyball tournaments, art, carnival rides, a hammock beach, and even a wedding chapel into the mix.

9.  Sasquatch!   

Where: The Gorge, Washington

When: May 26th-28th

How much it’s going to cost you: 3-Day General Admission tickets currently are $295

Taking place during Memorial Day weekend, Sasquatch! Features a wide and exiting range of musical genres. Each act is handpicked to create a truly unforgettable music experience. The festival has a big emphasis on camping, as the festival’s location is pretty remote and isolated from urban areas.

10. Bonanza          

Where: Heber, Utah

When: June 23-25, 2017

What it’s going to cost you: A 3-Day General Admission ticket is currently $150

Finally, us Utah natives are blessed with a music festival worth talking about without going too far. Bonanza brings the buzzed about music, art, and camping scene to Utah. It’s about a forty-minute drive from downtown SLC to be surrounded by the beautiful Utah outdoors and amazing music!

So may the odds be in your favor in grabbing those tickets, finding the perfect Pinterest inspired outfit, and taking that flawless photo for Instagram. 

Erin is a senior at University of Utah currently pursuing strategic communications major with writing and rhethoric minor. She's passionate about all things creative, and hopes one day to work in the film industry. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor