This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Welcome, my feline-loving friends!

And just a little side note to those who don’t like cats — I was you once, but now I have two cats and I’m going to convince everyone I know to adopt a cat too. (:

1.    Cats clean themselves!

–    Cats bathe themselves, so you don’t have to wrestle with them in the sink. You only have to wash cats whenever you feel like it or whenever they start to smell. Cats spend most of their waking hours grooming themselves, so you don’t have to do it for them. Granted, if you have an outdoor cat you should wash it a little more frequently, because even though cats can clean themselves, they still have some hard to reach areas where they could use your assistance.

2.    You don’t have to carry around a smelly bag of Shit!

–    Cats poop in a box full of sand, sand that traps odors — how cool is that? You don’t need to take them outside in the middle of the night or put it in a plastic bag because the litterbox does all the work for you. The only thing you have to do is empty it and add more of that magical sand. They even have self-cleaning litter boxes now, so you don’t have to scoop the poop!    

3.    Cats make great emotional support animals

–    While cats can’t be trained as service animals, they are extremely low maintenance so they can easily become your emotional support animal. Just like dogs, cats are loving and entertaining. What makes cats so special is that they are ultra-soothing. Sleeping or studying next to this furry friend is basically like being soothed by a fluffy cloud that vibrates when it’s happy. Having a cat has personally helped me with my anxiety and has helped me get through times when I was in desperate need of emotional support.

4.    They’ll kill intruders for you!

–    And by intruders, I mean any bugs and/or rodents. Cats are natural hunters, so if you have a fly, spider, mouse, or anything smaller than a cat that is scary to you, your cat will be your feline in shining armor. 

5.    They are hilarious

–    Nothing is funnier than watching a cat go about its day. They try to squeeze in places they obviously don’t fit, sporadically run from one end of the room to another, and even eat with their hands! Maybe the last one is just my cat, but I guarantee you’ll never have a dull moment — and if you do, you can just do what cats do best…. nap. (;

Here are some places where you can adopt your new bff : Best Friends Animal ShelterHumane Society, and there’s always KSL. (: 

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Farah majoring in sociology and minoring in political science. She is the Director of Recruitment and Director of Social Media of Her Campus Utah for the 2020-2021 school year. She loves painting with coffee and drinking lemonade.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor