Women Helping Women: The Greek Community Supporting Bra’s for a Cause

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

During the month of November, Bras for a Cause has partnered with the Panhellenic Community in order to collect bras for local women in need. Bra’s for a Cause is a great organization and it was exciting that the Greek Community took on this partnership in the month of November honoring their dedication to philanthropy.  It is also inspiring to see the efforts a month after October, which is Breast Cancer Awareness month, in which they get a lot of support that falls through after the month is complete.  But beyond just collecting bras for women in your community, what exactly is Bra’s for a Cause and what do they do? 

Bra’s for a Cause is a volunteer-based organization raising funds to eradicate breast and cervical cancer – especially through early intervention mammograms and cervical screenings. The keys they use to be successful are; raising awareness about the issue, awarding monetary grants to smaller projects in need, raising funds through events like their annual gala, building a network of outreach, and continuing the conversations with other organizations that are similar to further improve their efforts.  All of these things have a huge impact on eradicating Breast and Cervical Cancer and provide hope for the victims and survivors.  

Because of non-profits like this, our society has made huge improvements in eradicating and preventing Breast and Cervical cancer.  In 1975, the 5-year survival rate after diagnosis in the United States was 75%.  That same survival rate in 2008 increased to 90.8%.  This is incredible progress and we need to keep supporting medical research to keep pushing the boundaries.  

We are so proud of the Panhellenic Community for supporting an issue that is very relevant and impacting to many women’s lives!  

Hi! I'm Madison Keyser and am a student at the University of Utah.  I am a sophomore double majoring in Economics and Spanish hoping to go to Law School someday.  I am an Alpha Chi Omega, love to play lacrosse and do anything outside.  I am so excited to be a Her Campus writer! 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor