elliott stallion 1UY8UuUkids unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
elliott stallion 1UY8UuUkids unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Culture > News

Why You SHOULDN’T Vote for Burgess Owens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

With the constant buzz surrounding election season, it’s easy to get lost in all of the turmoil. As presidential campaigns become controversial, it’s hard to stay in touch with the local elections happening. However, local elections are just as, if not more, important than national elections. The people you elect to represent your community will directly impact your life, so it’s important to choose wisely. I’m here to help. Here’s why, in my opinion, you should not vote for Burgess Owens for CD4.  

He has been connected with QAnon…twice.  

The FBI has warned that the conspiracy group QAnon is a domestic terror threat, so you’d think a candidate would want to avoid them. Apparently not! Burgess Owens has been on not one, but two talk shows that support QAnon. 

He plagiarized from Wikipedia. 

In 2018, Owens published his third book, Why I Stand: From Freedom to the Killing Fields of Socialism. If the title wasn’t enough to put you off, the content is. Large passages of text are directly lifted from Wikipedia, of all places. At least Melania was plagiarizing a person, not a website.

His “charity” isn’t very charitable.

Burgess Owens’ charity, Second Chance 4 Youth, is meant to help incarcerated youth have a second chance at a successful life. Sounds great, doesn’t it? The only problem is, 0% of the money raised for the charity went directly to incarcerated youth! Owens also has a salary of $70,000 from the charity, which breaks federal campaign financing laws.

He wants to get rid of the Department of Education.

I don’t know about you, but I think educating children is important. He also doesn’t value higher education, which is strange considering he got his fame and fortune in college. He says that those who go to college “leave these institutions of learning embracing the godless ideologies of Socialism and Marxism.” I thought I was getting a degree in strategic communication, but apparently it was in Marxism!

So, to recap, Burgess Owens has ties to conspiracy theorists, plagiarizes, hates higher education, and has a charity that’s really only charitable to himself. Do you think he’s ready to become a U.S. Congressman?  

Hello! I am a junior studying Peace & Conflict Studies and Strategic Communication at the University of Utah. I am also minoring in Political Science. I am passionate about advocacy, education, and Star Trek!