Why Wonder Woman is the Best Superhero

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

At the age of ten, I was introduced to the Wonder Woman TV show produced in the 1970s. Immediately, I was drawn in by Wonder Woman’s power, her bracelets that deflected the bullets of a machine-gun, and – above all – her feminist bad-a** attitude. While Marvel and DC focus on male superheroes, they completely disregard all of these phenomenal traits Wonder Woman possesses. Now it’s time to do her justice:

1. She doesn’t let love stand in her way.

She does have a crush on Major Steve Trevor, but that crush is just that: a crush. It doesn’t develop into a relationship. Why? Because Wonder Woman is an independent woman who don’t need no man! She cares for Major Trevor, but she’s smart enough to recognize that a relationship would put him in jeopardy, and that it would distract her from keeping the American people safe – something many other male superheroes fail to realize.

2. She’s a Princess.

Hailing from Paradise Island – or Themyscira – Wonder Woman is the daughter of a queen, and her true name is Diana. The fact that she’s a princess AND a superhero should be proof enough in itself that she trumps her male peers, but it also suggests that not only can she fight and take on other men, but she does so with the dignity, grace, and poise of royalty. Also, even though she’s a princess, she isn’t a damsel in distress; the majority of the time, Wonder Woman saves other men who are in distress. That’s right, she was a feminist princess before Elsa.

3. She successfully keeps her identity a secret.

As much as she loves her friends in America, Wonder Woman understands the value of keeping her identity secret, and goes to great lengths to conceal it from her friends. Again, in doing this, she displays the intellectual prowess her male counterparts lack.

4. Top-notch Gadgets.

The lasso of truth, the golden belt, the bracelets… each symbolize not only power, but the power of virtue – a lasso which compels people to tell the truth, what other superhero has that? Ironman may be a gorgeous billionaire-playboy-philanthropist, but he doesn’t have an ounce of virtue in his ensemble. And not only are her weapons unique, but they come from her native man-free island. Strong weapons made with magical woman-powers? Sign me up.

5. She’s an all-American girl.

Her costume is inspired by the American flag, and not only is her costume patriotic, she is as well; Wonder Woman has a deep respect for the United States of America, and doesn’t tolerate any enemy of the USA. She volunteered to leave her island in order to defend the United States during WWII. The fact that she left an island filled with Amazon women in order to protect the USA puts Captain America to shame.

Basically, Wonder Woman is one of a kind, and no matter what Marvel or DC may say: she’s number one.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor