Why We Love All the Horoscope Hype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Every time I log onto Instagram, visit the discovery page on Snapchat, or reach the end of a magazine, I find myself drawn to the horoscopes. No matter where or when I read my Taurus prediction or personality description, I am surprised to find some accuracy in relation to my life.  People read horoscopes for different reasons, but it seems that we all search for as much guidance or verified personal development as possible, even if it’s found in the last section of Seventeen Magazine. Astrology, a practice intricately linked between the alignment of the stars and planets and their effect on a person’s personality, mood, and environment, has been around for nearly thousands of years. The popularity of casual horoscopes, however, has only grown since first being introduced merely fifty years ago with the rise of pop culture and daily media. Even though we all know that millions of people were born on the same day at the same time, why does it seem that almost everyone can regularly identify with their horoscope reading?  

The answer lies in the Barnum Effect, and the subconscious association of astrologists projected personality traits or predictions, star signs, and horoscopes. Phrases that speak to you, seem personal and accurate, but can actually apply to a whole lot of people can be defined as Barnum Statements. Horoscopes often fall under this category. Humans are narrative creatures, and any chance we get to engage about our futures, analyze our pasts, or interpret our personalities, we tend to take. Clearly not everybody is a devout astrologist, nor even classify themselves as educated in the astrological belief system, but obviously, almost a fourth of Americans spend time and energy in finding and reading their horoscope. 

Study after study has provided no scientific evidence of astrology, but its impact is undeniable. Americans are not alone; many people from different backgrounds, cultures, and religions find commonality in the habitual reading of their horoscopes and star signs. The American Federal Association of Astrology discovered that over 70 million Americans read their horoscope regularly. That’s approximately 23% of the population. Additionally, 90% of adults know their astrological sign. 

Psychologists frequently study the Barnum Effect, a phenomenon that was tested in 1948 by Bertram Forer. Forer gave students in his psychology class each a personality test and a fourteen-sentence summary of their results a week later. The students then rated the accurateness of their personality summary on a scale of 1 to 5. The average was a 4.3 out of 5. The catch? All of the students were given the exact same summary of results from their personality test. In essence, your brain picks what it wants to believe, and if you are presented with encouraging or identity-defining statements, you will attach personal meaning to it. A quote from psychologist Barry Beyerstein, regarding the media’s ability to capture readers and reel them in, reads, “Hope and uncertainty evoke powerful psychological processes that keep all occult and pseudoscientific character readers in business” . Astrology, specifically horoscopes, could be argued to fall under this business of convincing readers, and keeping customers coming back for more. 

The horoscope world has turned a profitable business. Etsy and Pinterest are plagued with astrological-sign paraphenalia. Just as one would buy a flag or a sweatshirt of their hometown, people buy iconology such as rings bearing a cursive Taurus or Capricorn. These industries take advantage of the Barnum Effect and its power, a pattern we have seen before. Think of how much money people spend on cross necklaces and trinkets. While often the products represent an inspiriting message and meaning behind it, the suppliers are in it for the money. An obsession with identifying with a sign and its personality traits, predictions, and characteristics only make  people more susceptible to buying into horoscope magazines and other vehicles for horoscopy. Rivalry based on star signs, arguably comprising a form of tribalism, has risen, and people are dying to show off their astrological group–the perfect opportunity for retailers to bling out products full star-sign style.

In my opinion, horoscopes do more good than bad. While one cannot be faulted for harmless motivation for someone to reach out to an old friend, work extra hard, be cautious in their time management, or any other common horoscope instruction. Of course, several crowds, such as evangelical Christians, associate astrology with misleading blasphemy, witchcraft, and even Satanism. More reasonable crowds argue that seeing their future and potential among the stars is silly, demeaning, and childish. Can we consider these arguments valid? Perhaps these views represent overly generalized and negative perspectives about the influence astrology can introduce into one’s life. 

Most horoscopes do not lead audiences to impending doom, nor do they often associate negative feelings or traits with a sign. Measurable negative effects have not been recorded, and personally I find them inspirational and interesting. Barnum Effect or not, horoscopes are one of the mind-opening and interesting subjects of human culture that represent us innocently straggling for any guidance to help us through this crazy journey of life. If someone is motivated or helped by their horoscope, I consider astrology as a success, despite its lack of scientific evidence.

G'day, I'm Gabi. After a breakfast of a bagel and cream cheese, you can find me dancing, at the gym, hanging with friends, or off to road trip. Moving to Salt Lake City in August from Boulder, Colorado I am a lil freshman studying communications and modern dance. I am obsessed with pop culture, instagram, OOTD's, the Bachelor, and everything pink sprinkle donut.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor