Why The Walking Dead Has Ruined My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

AMC’s most popular television series, The Walking Dead, is set in a post-apocalyptic Georgia.  The world that we know dearly has been taken over by “walkers”, or as you may better know them, zombies.  Rick Grimes, a police officer, leads his diverse group with one goal in mind: survive.

AMC’s most popular television series, The Walking Dead, has also completely and totally ruined my life.

The Walking Dead premiered in 2010, and like most binge-worthy shows, I found five seasons of it just waiting to be watched on Netflix.  I began to watch it six weeks ago, and in those six weeks I have watched all five seasons.  The sixth season is currently being played on AMC.

But you know what, I don’t even know if I can bring myself to watch the new season.  I can’t handle another main character dying…  They kill them off like its no big deal!  I can’t deal with the conundrum of why I think the dirty, crude, and possibly sexist, Daryl Dixon is the sexiest man to survive the world ending.  And I definitely can’t continue to understand why Rick is being pegged as the hero, when in reality, he may be the biggest villain on television.

After six weeks of zombies popping out at me, you would think that I would be terrified of them.  Quite the opposite.  I have come up with my own plan to survive the zombie apocalypse.  I am prepared, and part of my preparedness is not giving away the totality of my plan…I’m not going to just give up my fool-proof plan of survival…I will say, however, that you don’t have to fret too much, because Salt Lake City is one of the best places you can live in the wake of a zombie takeover.  Utah is full of guns, open land, and fearless people.  I think Utah is the only hope in this extremely unlikely scenario.

Despite this show ruining my life, if you need a TV show to binge watch this holiday season…I won’t not recommend The Walking Dead.  Although, I will leave you with the warning that you will fall in love with the characters, be a little frightened, and of course come to believe that the zombie apocolypse is not only possible, but quickly approaching and that you, too, will prepare for your bad-ass survival.

(Picture of me if I were fighting zombies, probably.)

I am an acting major who has a soft spot for puppies.  I cry whenever I see Christmas lights or hear Christmas music because the magic of Christmas is just too overwhelming.  I am completely and utterly obsessed with boba, Disneyland, Tom Hardy, and salt n' vinegar chips.  I'm from, like, California, and it's, like, pretty noticeable somehow.  In the future I want to live in a big city and be exactly like my mom because she is perfect in every way.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor