Why the U is a Hidden Gem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As a San Diego native, I often get the question: “Why Utah?” Well, folks, I’m over the excuses such as “IDK, man, I don’t even ski.” Because the U is like a hidden gem, and here’s why we were ranked #93 in universities in the world by Shanghai Jiao Tong University.

First of all, Utah is Colorado with extra polite humans who make great neighbors. The outdoorsy-type just has to head over to One Love’s table to get their snowboarding fill in. Plus, Salt Lake City is the number one city to hike in the U.S.

Like OMG, look at that VIEW! (Lake Blanche, Cottonwood Canyon)

The U is also a huge fan of sustainability—the university has a plan to become carbon neutral by 2050, which according to Dictionary.com, that pretty much means carbon dioxide let go into the atmosphere is reduced to zero. Plus, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ranked the U fourth in the nation for green power purchases. On top of that, the campus has a Farmer’s Market. 

Check it out on Thursdays in the Tanner Plaza…I spy with my little eye something organic.

Two words: PAC. 12. Two more words: Red Rocks. One final word: Football. Sports here at the U are kind of a big deal. Game days are the grandest of times to bask in UTE pride; even if you hate sports you can’t help but wear a red shirt and paint a giant U on your face…

…or stomach.

It’s amazing to feel so safe at the U because A) This is Utah, LOL and B) University of Utah Health Care was ranked number 1 in the nation in 2010 by the University Health System Consortium’s Quality and Accountability Study– now breathe. Utes need not be worried in case of an emergency.

The hospital is also really pretty, which is important.

Speaking of health care, the U was ranked number 2 in the nation for Physician’s Assistant Programs. Sixty grand for a medical degree where you’ll be making an average of 90 grand annually? To get one of the top 10 jobs in America? With a 38% job growth rate? Can I hear a “Goooooooo UTES!”

Just look at how happy these cheese balls are.

With a total enrollment of 31,515 students, it’s pretty insane that 50% of classes have fewer than 20 students. The student/faculty ratio is 17:1, which means students get a lot of attention. Not so great for sluffers, but pretty awesome when you do well in a classroom where the professor can remember your name and face.

I’ll bet the professor knows the name of that student who is obviously stressin’ about something… Hint: He’s wearing stripes.

How many times have you heard, “I’m studying business,”? Well, it’s all going to make a lot more sense now. Forbe’s magazine ranked Utah as number 1 for “Best States for Business,” saying that “an educated labor force” was a big reason for its ranking.

Things that feel cooler than taking a class in the business building: 1. Being told “you’re chill” by a real hipster 2. ???

Oh, did I mention that really cool and successful people are U alumni’s? Like Orson Scott Card, author of Ender’s Game? J. Willard Marriott, founder of Marriott Hotels as well as Stephen Covey, who founded Franklin Covey are pretty noteable as well.

I didn’t know I even liked SciFi until I read this book.

And, finally.

Look at how gorgeous this campus is (and the awesome leg exercise that goes along with walking around it.)

Don't make this ginger snap... just kidding. I'm usually pretty nice. I am a happy-go-lucky, Avril Lavigne lovin' and poodle obsessed San Diego girl. I think I'v been handling the cold weather pretty well! Communication is my degree of choice, although maybe someday I'll be a world reknown astrologer... One last thing: I'm pretty sarcastic. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor