bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why it is Important to Have Hummus Standards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Hummus, according to Wikipedia, is a Levantine and Egyptian food dip or spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas or other beans, blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and garlic. Now from that description, it might not seem like it would be that tasty, which is something I thought until I was about 20 years old. However, do not let that stop you from trying hummus because it is scrumptious.  Especially with crackers or pita chips.

That being said, don’t let bad hummus stop the party.  I had recently tasted some hummus that looked promising, smooth and textured with a light brown color. It was delicious to look at. Then I tried some and was sorely disappointed. 

It was like biting into a warm, straight from the oven, gooey, seemingly chocolate chip cookie, but finding out it was just a raisin cookie. Not even a raisin oatmeal cookie, but a cookie that should have had chocolate chips in it but the baker decided to be Satan and put raisins in it instead without forewarning anyone. Needless to say, but my pallet was not pleased. 

Now some people would argue that hummus is hummus and whether it is overflowing with oil or doesn’t have enough moisture, it should still be enjoyed and eaten.  To that, I say, what is wrong with you?? 

Claiming that all hummus is the same is like saying all chocolate is the same.  And being well versed on my Hershey’s, Lindt, Ferrero Rocher, Cadbury and more, I would say that all chocolate is definitely NOT equal.  If it was, I wouldn’t have to seriously consider buying milk for my cereal or some Lindt chocolate because I don’t have enough money for both.  

You should never settle for anything, especially hummus.  It is just a slippery slope in my opinion.  You have some average hummus one day, and then it gets easier and easier to settle for less than what you deserve.  Sure, laugh and say, “it’s really just hummus,” but when you start settling for the small, trivial things in life (like hummus) then it is easier to settle for the bigger things (like relationships, employment, etc).   

I said this earlier but let me re-state it, don’t let bad hummus you had in the past ruin your chances of tasting amazing hummus in the future.  Yes, bad hummus is out there and it sucks.  It makes your mouth feel dry and you can’t get that nasty aftertaste out.  Or worse, it makes your tongue slick with oil so you can feel it sliding around all day on your taste buds.  But that bad hummus doesn’t mean that all hummus is bad.  This lesson can apply to anything in life, especially relationships.  Just because you let one person in who turned out to be a complete D-bag, doesn’t mean there aren’t people out there who will make you feel like the shining star you are.   

Hummus comes in all shapes and sizes.  My personal favorite is the hummus that comes swirled with salsa because I love things hot. However, some of my friends prefer the plain hummus. There is nothing wrong with liking varied types and trying to step out of your hummus comfort zone. I recently was offered hummus with carrots, which I had never thought about before (it wasn’t terrible).  My point is, it’s okay to like different kinds of hummus than your friends and family. But remember to keep a personal standard of what you will consume, that’s the most important part. Because we all have different standards and expectations when it comes to everything. The trick is to stay true to your standards, even when they aren’t the same as those around you.

I enjoy writing about varied topics, which is fueled from my love of talking to people.  I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, my goldfish Buttercup, reading, painting, anything competitive, Star Wars and gaming.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor