This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I absolutely loathe the back and forth game of ‘playing hard to get.’ All my life I’ve been told the only way a boy would be into me was if he had to chase after me. He needed to feel like he had won his prize. This has never sat comfortably with me. Maybe it’s my inner feminist or maybe it’s my laziness to put that much work into a guy, but I think the whole idea playing hard to get it just plain stupid.

A book that was considered The Bible in my house growing up was, The Rules (TM): Time-Tested Secrets for Capturing the Heart of Mr. Right. And I’m serious when I say that my Mom lived by this book when she was raising us. The pages consist of various topics like:  Don’t see him more than once or twice a week, don’t talk to a man first, no more than casual kissing on the first date, etc. Countless amount of times I went to my Mom and said, “I don’t like playing hard to get, I just want to be myself.” She responded, “I’m sorry but that’s just the way it is.”

As I’ve grown into my own self and have really become okay with who I am, I’ve come to realize that I don’t have to play these silly games. If someone likes me, I want them to like that I am going to text them at least once a day to make sure they’re having a great day. I need a man that’s going to feel flattered that I like them and feel grateful that I take the time out of my day to see them.

In my head, the boys that need the chase to feel fulfilled are the boys that fear settling down. They are also the one’s that once they get you, they’re going to be looking for the next best thing to chase after. Because if you only like me when I’m ignoring your texts and telling you I’m busy, then you are never going to like the real me. Because the real me isn’t going to play that way.

So, to all the boys that become uninterested in me because I am a little more forward than the traditional way you think girls are “supposed” to be… I say adieu. You’re not the guy I want to end up being with in the end anyway. 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor