This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I’ve been asked thousands of times when I tell people my major is English, what I plan on doing with my degree.

When I tell them I want to teach, people usually respond with, “Really? You know they don’t make that much money, right?”

Yes, I am fully aware that a teacher’s salary is not an astronomical amount of money. But, I am more than okay with that.

It’s not about the amount of zeros that are on the paycheck; it is the amount of lives I can change.

It is about projecting my love for English and literature on to my future students.

It is about seeing their faces light up when they finally understand a concept they had been struggling with.

It is about empowering students, and making them aware that they are capable of doing difficult things.

My teachers were some of the most influential people in my life, and I want to be an influence on my future students.

I created bonds with some teachers I could have never imagined before.

I want to create bonds like those I had with my teachers, with my future students.

I want them to be able to come to me and ask for advice,

I want them to understand I am on their side.

And above all, I want my students to know that my classroom will always be a safe zone for them.

This is why the amount that shows up on my paychecks won’t matter.  Because it is not the money, it is all about helping prepare my future students.

I cannot wait to teach students a new subject or topic. I cannot wait to have students realize that they can reach their fullest potential

And most importantly, they can with my help.

I want to change the little part of the world that I can—one student at a time.

That’s why I want to become a teacher. 

A California native, fulfilling my education in Utah. An English major and History minor. Also an avid reader, netflix binger, sports enthusiast, chocolate addict, and on occasion, a writer. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor