Why Being a Senior in a Sorority is Heartbreaking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

About four years ago I started college. My eagerness to leave the nest and experience life as an adult was a constant itch throughout high school. Having what I thought was a “real” college experience was something I realy desired. I believed that college would be far better than what I could imagine, and I was determined to thrive once I was there. I knew that going to college guaranteed me lots of homework, and many late nights at the library. However, and more importantly, it presented me an opportunity that changed my life. I joined a sorority. I became part of a sisterhood, and it has kept me afloat over the past four years. 

I yearned to join a sorority. I was eager to embrace sisterhood as a freshman. Now I’m a senior and weeks away from becoming an alumnus. I am being flooded with many emotions right now, along with many tears. I will never regret going through recruitment and finding my sisterhood. Which is why I encourage anyone who is interested, even just a smidgen, to get involved with Greek life. If you are already part of a sisterhood, all I can do is encourage you to stay involved all the way through to your senior year.

In other words……..STICK WITH IT GIRL. 

My first semester in my chapter was intimidating. I was the shy girl, and I wasn’t really sure how to stick out my neck and make friends. Once I started to participate in events, and started to hold leadership roles, things became much easier. I now barely remember the time when struggled to make friends. That may sound like a cliché, but as a wiser (well, somewhat wiser senior) you’re just going to have to trust me. 

Sorority life has given me not only life long girlfriends, but it gave me the opportunity to develop a social life. It can be hard and extremely exhausting to have one in college. If you’re commuting to school and not involved with any student groups, finding a place to belong on campus is necessary to be able to embrace college life at its fullest. Don’t make it just about schoolwork. Being a part of the Greek community will give you a place to belong, the right dose of a social interaction and needed breaks from schoolwork

When I look back on my time in college, I don’t remember all the tests and papers that kept me up late at night. I remember my sisterhood. I remember all the girls that made college worthwhile. I never knew that I could be surrounded by so many amazing women. College was the best four years of my life because of my sisterhood. I made the most of my college years because of my sisters, and because of the Greek community. 

The Greek community is something to be reckoned with. We are a family, and even if we belong to different organizations, we stand together as one. I have seen so much love and appreciation for each other within the Greek community in my four short years. My heart breaks when I think about the future. I’m not ready—even though I have to be—to leave a community that is so vibrant.

So where do I go from here? Finals and graduation are right around the corner, and college is coming to a close. The love I have for my sisterhood will never disappear. I don’t regret one minute or one dollar that I spent with/on my chapter. My sisterhood has given me more than I could ever have asked for. It gave me everything. It has given me the courage to leave college and embark on a new journey. 

I will always cherish the precious time I’ve had with my sisters. What once seemed to be never ending is now suddenly coming to a close. All I hope is that I’ve inspired my Greek peeps, and those looking for a place on campus, to never let the moment pass by. Do not take your chapter or your time in college for granted. One day it will be over, and when it ends all you can do is relive the love, the happiness, the heartache, and all the laughs in your memories. Be amazed and grateful of the extraordinary bond that a sisterhood or brotherhood will give you. 

Dreaming of living in the big apple and working at rockefeller center. Not ashamed to own and love the Kim Kardashian Selfie book. Feminist by nature, pessimistic by choice and proud of it. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor