The Whole Famn Damily: What it’s Really Like During the Holiday’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

December is here and so are holiday parties. I know that I am not the only one that can relate to having a very strange and unusual fam. So as you all gather around the wassle and cheese platters, relishing in the spirit of family… just know that yes, you may be the only sane person at the party, but everyone has this same struggle. There are always the stories that you have heard a bajillion times, the people you can’t stand, and the siblings that will always try to out do you in some way (whether it be posting about all the “weird” things you say or being able to boast about the promotion and raise they got.)

But we’re all still family and we’ll love each other no matter what. Does your fam match up to mine? Here are the wackiest family members you can expect to see at your next family holiday gathering. 

The little brother that keeps his twitter feed up to date by the minute.

The aunt that thinks she is cool and acts 40 years younger than her age.

The granny that squeezes your cheeks and ruins your makeup with her red lip kiss stains.

The younger cousins the watch Frozen over and over again.

The family dog that chews everything.

The uncle that’s a little too comfortable.

The family friends that are basically family that spend time with your family, but should really spend with their own family.

The super successful older sibling that comes home and shames all the other kids.

The-screw-up twice removed cousin that doesn’t know how to shut up.

The niece that is adored by everyone and you can’t figure out why everybody loves her so much.

The grandpa that tells his war-time stories after getting a bottle deep in wine.

Good luck with all of the caroling and picture taking with your crazy family this holiday season! 

Olivia is a junior at the University of Utah. She enjoys Taylor Swift, dogs, and her sorority! She is a Strategic Communications major and is getting a Campaign Management minor and one day hopes to work in the world of advertising or trailing the next big political candidate. One of her favorite past times is crafting and Netflix, but you could also find her at Ugurt with her friends on any given night. She has an obsession with throw pillows and the color black and hates bad eyebrows.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor