This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Whether you begin celebrating Christmas on November 1st or you are adamant about waiting until after Thanksgiving, I think it’s safe to say that the month of December is officially the time for Christmas music. I am a Christmas music fanatic. I think that this was unavoidable given that my grandpa would start listening to Christmas music in July. My Spotify Christmas playlist is over eight hours long and ranges from Frank Sinatra to Mariah Carey, with a bit of random Christmas movie soundtrack songs in between. After asking my own friends and family what their go-to Christmas song is, I learned that there are categories of how people celebrate Christmas based on the type of Christmas music they listen to. 

The Classics

Classic Christmas is a beloved genre of holiday music. This would include “Winter Wonderland” by Bing Crosby, “The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You)” by Nat King Cole, any Christmas song by Frank Sinatra, and maybe a more upbeat tune like “Little Saint Nick” by The Beach Boys. If this is your favorite type of Christmas music, you’re probably older and/or you love a very traditional Christmas. You probably watch Charlie Brown’s Christmas or Miracle on 34th Street every year and you’d enjoy some family time by the fire while admiring gifts under the tree. Having a white Christmas is very important to you because you are a true lover of a cozy Christmas. 

Pexels

Pop Christmas 

Pop Christmas is a fun way to celebrate Christmas. Here, we’ve got songs like Ariana Grande’s “Santa Tell Me,” NSYNC’s “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays,” Britney Spears “My Only Wish (This Year,”) Taylor Swift’s “Christmas Tree Farm” and the entirety of Justin Bieber’s Mistletoe albums. Most pop Christmas songs are similar to pop music in general, but they include the added flair of a couple jingle bell sounds and mentions of falling in love during the holidays. This would also include the Christmas music of the 80s like “Last Christmas” by Wham and “Do They Know it’s Christmas Time?” by Bandaid. If these are your favorite, you likely binge-watch all of your favorite sitcom’s Christmas episodes, including old Disney Channel episodes. You happily partake in viewing both new and old Christmas rom-coms and you enjoy all of the old Christmas traditions with added modern flare. So to all of you pop Christmas lovers, enjoy your holiday-themed cocktails and white elephant gift exchanges with your best friends. 

Brown Acorn Near Clear Long Stem Wine Glass
picjumbo.com/Pexels

Soundtrack Christmas

Let’s be real, if you’re a soundtrack Christmas person, the reality is that you’re more of a Christmas movie kind of person. But that doesn’t mean you don’t enjoy “Where Are You Christmas” or “When Christmas Comes to Town.” This also includes all of the Glee Cast Christmas albums and Christmas themed musical theatre. If this is your favorite Christmas music, it probably means that you enjoy the aesthetic aspect of Christmas. Your Christmas tree is probably beautifully decorated, and your favorite Christmas activity is to debate whether Elf, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, or The Grinch is the funniest Christmas movie. This is your time to enjoy Christmas by going out and admiring the lights and cuddling with your loved one while eating Christmas treats and watching your favorite Christmas movie. 

Watching holiday movie on laptop
Photo by Samira Rahi from Unsplash

True Meaning of Christmas, Christmas Music

The true meaning of Christmas is rooted in Christianity and is celebrated to represent the birth of Jesus Christ. Songs that are based on this story include “O’Holy Night” and “Silent Night” and are beloved and sang by many. If these are your favorite Christmas songs, then you are probably very humble and enjoy the giving rather than the receiving when it comes to Christmas gifts and gestures. You also have good focus and appreciate the joy of the holidays. 

Unsplash/ Nicole Honeywill / Sincerely Media

Country Christmas

Country music Christmas is a fun one. This Christmas category is dominated by Dolly Parton along with a dash of Willie Nelson. If you enjoy country Christmas, you probably enjoy a simple Christmas. You may have gotten a real Christmas tree that fills the entire house with a pine scent and you quite possibly may have gone up the mountain to get that tree. And I’d say your favorite tradition is a delicious Christmas dinner that is spent with the family. 

Christmas tree on mini bus
Photo by Denise Johnson from Unsplash

Blue Christmas

A somber but realistic view of Christmas is relayed in what I like to call the blue Christmas music. This is exactly what it sounds like, a sadder take on Christmas. Songs in this category include “Blue Christmas” by Elvis Presley and “River” by Joni Mitchell. If these are a must on your Christmas playlist, then I would say you’re a realist that understands that in a season of joy there is still a bit of sadness. Despite this, though, you know that Christmas is still enjoyable and important and full of love, but is rooted in reality. (Well, either that or you just went through a break-up during the holidays.)

Paola Chaaya via Unsplash

Artist That Reigns Supreme Over Christmas

These are songs by your very own Christmas kings and queens. For me, these are Michael Bublé and Mariah Carey. I start my Christmas season with “All I Want for Christmas is You” and I end with “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home”) almost every year. While these artists are different for everyone and encapsulate many different genres, these are the artists who put you into the Christmas spirit, and whose songs you listen to while you bake cookies, wrap presents, and decorate the tree. They become so iconic that they are a guaranteed part of your Christmas and could possibly be your adult version of Santa or Mrs. Claus. 

Man Wearing Santa Claus Costume
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

No matter what Christmas music you listen to, it is one the best ways to get into the spirit. There are so many different ways to celebrate Christmas and every single one of them is unique and important. Whether you are a blue Christmas person or a pop Christmas person, there is nothing better than dancing to Christmas music in matching PJs with your loved ones. To quote the movie Elf, “the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.”

Kinley is a Geography major at the University of Utah emphasizing in Development, Population, and Sustainability and minoring in Human Development and Family Studies. She loves trivia (and claim that she knows a little about a lot of things), happens to be in the top 1% of Taylor Swift listeners on Spotify, and aims to talk as quick as Lorelai Gilmore. She joined Her Campus because she feels passionate about making topics like Politics, Feminism, and Mental Health approachable and accessible.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor