What You Need to Know Post Bid Day: What Happens Once the Glitter Settles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

So you opened the envelope, you screamed or cried or maybe both you ran into the arms of your new family who somehow seemed even more excited to see you there! You ran from the Union to Greek row–trying not to fall on your face–and saw that beautiful house covered in bright posters, confetti, balloons and most importantly glitter that you realized wouldn’t go away for weeks. 

You quite literally felt like a celebrity with girls screaming waving signs with your name on it, getting presents and everybody wanted to take a 100 pictures with you. You jumped around, learned the songs and were surrounded by the sisters you would be with for the next four years and for life. Unfortunately, that perfect day does come to an end and you’re probably wondering: now what? Being in a sorority is more than just the screaming, tutus and glitter. Let’s talk about what’s next. 

1. Chapter meetings: Chapter meetings are weekly meetings held to discuss upcoming events, philanthropy, financial business. Each Executive Officer will talk about what is involved in their area for that week from Recruitment chair to Chapter Relations and Standards, Panhellenic Delegate, and whatever other positions the chapter will have. This is basically your weekly info session to know what is going on within your chapter, what is coming up, and important dates. Remember that cute overpriced planner you absolutely needed to buy? Make sure to bring it, you’ll want to write this all down! 

2. Lifelong skills: The common stereotype surrounding sororities is the idea of partying, girls giggling about everything and having fun without a care in the world. While we do enjoy our social events, the lessons I have learned from being in a sorority are ones that I will carry with me throughout life. Through having a leadership position in my organization I have learned responsibility, accountability and time management. There is always a position to get involved in through the house that fits your interest from recruitment, finance, or chapter relations. Taking a position is one of the most rewarding experiences you will have in the house because you will be a part of making your sorority what it is. 

3.  Events, events, events! Being part of a sorority entails quite a few functions of all sorts. There are philanthropy events, fraternity and sorority exchanges, date nights, formals, sisterhoods, workshops, alumni functions–basically all perfect opportunities for every outfit in your closet. When being a member of a social sorority on campus, you can always expect to have a calendar filled with all types of fun social events; you’re not required to go to them all but you’ll never be without something to do. From a fun hiking sisterhood with your new member class to career/sexual assault/finance workshops for Greek members to getting more involved in philanthropy, you will always find something to do that fits your interests. 

4. Philanthropy: If you needed another reason to be proud of being Greek and of your chapter, you’ll get it with philanthropy! Each sorority has a specific philanthropy that they are proud to stand behind and work towards. The philanthropies range from Make a Wish, Awareness and Prevention of Domestic Violence, Women’s Heart Health. Many of the chosen philanthropies do focus on the empowerment of women. Sorority women take pride in benefitting their philanthropy through fundraisers, hands-on volunteering and workshops to raise awareness. I can personally say that I have never felt more proud of my organization than when I hear how much money we raised for the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition or when I was working at a battered women’s shelter. Philanthropy is not an obligation in Greek life, it is a privilege and something we are proud to get to do. 

5. Sisterhood: It really is the true and number one reason to join a sorority. To have a house filled with girls who have your back is priceless and worth more than all the flower crowns and tutus in the world. Being in a sorority has given me a support system in the good times and the bad. I remember celebrating my sisters when I got an A on my Chemistry test and crying with them after my first breakup but then proceeding to watch the Lizzie McGuire movie and dance around the living room with 10 sisters to ‘This is What Dreams are Made Of’. When accepting a bid to a sorority you have the privilege of knowing that you will soon find your best friends, bridesmaids, future big/little, future 2 am food buddies, biggest supporters and family when you walk through that door. 

Bid day can be scary and intimidating. You either love it or you look around wondering what you just got yourself into or most likely both. Either way you’re left at the end of it asking what’s next. The idea of what is next to come can seem even more daunting but this is your home and it is filled with opportunities for involvement, friends, service, leadership, to develop skills and sisterhood. This is now your family and they will still be standing even after the glitter settles. 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor