jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Parks and Rec Character You Are Based on Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Now that most of us are heading into what is (at least) our second semester, I think we’ve all become pretty familiar with popular major stereotypes. Business majors love to network, Computer Science majors can’t talk to people, and, as my sister’s boyfriend puts it, only 85% of Political Science majors are assholes (as a Political Science Major, I found this statement both offensive and relatable). But just because you think you have the stereotype down-pat for your field of studies doesn’t mean you know which Parks and Rec character would have been repping your program. Read on to figure our whether you’re in the same major as Leslie or whether you’re as academically f*cked as Jerry Gergich. Here’s to the new semester, collegiettes!

If you are a Political Science major, you are most like: 

Leslie Knope 

Okay, okay, maybe I’m just biased because I’m a Poly Sci major, but I swear to God, everyone in Poly Sci is pre-law, has completed like three internships, works at a law firm, and may or may not spend their weekends helping needy animals. If that isn’t enough, the energy Poly Sci majors bring to “boring” topics like recent Supreme Court cases is definitely worthy of the Leslie Knope-label. 

If you’re a Finance major, you’re most like: 

Chris Traeger 

Perky attitude, can-do spirit, and great with people: Chris Traeger is basically like every put-together business major I’ve ever ran into. He was probably the type who managed a hedge fund in college while helping the homeless and working two internships in his spare time. 

If you are a Computer Science major, you’re most like: 

Ben Wyatt 

Remember when Ben Wyatt is first introduced in Season 3 as the antithesis to Chris’s perky, positive attitude? Computer Science majors in a nutshell. 

If you’re a Communications major, you’re most like: 

Donna Meagle 

Donna is basically every bitch I know in Communications who’s running a blog on the DL while completing her degree. The good advice she dishes out to the rest of the Parks department throughout the show’s run indicates that she would be an excellent staff writer for a hip lifestyle site if she didn’t work at the Parks Department. 

If you’re an Elementary Education major, you’re most like: 

Andy Dwyer 

Okay, okay, so on the show, Andy never works with kids in any capacity…but wouldn’t he be the *perfect* teacher? Andy embodies the same fun-loving energy that is characteristic of the best elementary school teachers. 

If you are studying Nursing, you’re most like: 

Ann Perkins

Sooo this was kind of a gimme, because Ann is, of course, a nurse on the show. But Ann is everything a good nurse is supposed to be: level-headed, practical, and caring. 

If you’re an English major, you’re most like: 

April Ludgate 

People I know who have left the English major literally dropped it due to either a) difficult classes or b) harsh professors. Which I guess makes the English majors that I know pretty badass — just like April Ludgate. 

If you’re a Ballet major, you’re most like: 

Craig Middlebrooks 

Ballet requires Craig’s strict attention to detail and untiring dedication. It also seems to make ballet majors slightly less than laid-back — much like Craig. 

If you’re an Agricultural Biology major, you’re most like: 

Ron Swanson 

This might seem like an odd-ball pairing but hear me out. We know Ron definitely isn’t a social science or business kinda man, and it’s hard to see him in most STEM majors with his aversion to technology. However, it isn’t hard to imagine him knowing the scientific specifics of animal husbandry or plant biology, making him the perfect fit for agricultural bio. 

If you’re a Marketing major, you’re most like: 

Tom Haverford 

If selling things comes second nature to you and you always have a stellar start-up idea forming on the tip of your tongue, marketing was probably an easy fit for you. It also definitely is for Tom, who started at least two different companies by the end of the series’ run. 

And lastly, if this is the third major you’ve had in two years, you’re most like: 

Jerry Gergich 

Let’s be honest: if Jerry went to college, he probably signed up two weeks after registration opened and wound up in a certain program by accident. He probably made a mistake picking his second major, too, and now he’s finally in the program he wanted (maybe?) as a rising junior. Sound familiar? You’re such a Jerry. 

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

With a double major in Political Science and Economics, Allyson hopes to become either a lawyer or a professor of political science after she finishes her degree at the U. Her hobbies include shopping for clothing she cannot afford and working out without breaking a sweat. She is an avid lover of podcasts, and always appreciates recommendations. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor