What NOT To Do On Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and even though stores everywhere have been reminding us since the end of December of the impending holiday, I still feel as if we are got off guard.   

As you probably know, Valentine’s Day brings a mixture of emotions to the young adult community. Positive vibes come from thoughts of good chocolate going on sale, and serious marathons of Kate Hudson, Matthew Mcconaughey, and Meg Ryan on the big screen.   

On the flip side, we have flying, naked babies, who have an obsession with shooting arrows at random, unsuspecting folks who just wanted to take a stroll without being shot at. Who thought it was a good idea to arm infants? Also, love is great, but it can be annoying, like many other things, when shoved down the public’s throats. So along with not throwing your love in people’s faces, here’s a list of things you should NOT do on Valentine’s Day. You’re welcome. 

1. Do NOT under any circumstances call your ex.  We’ve all had them “single blues”.  But the aftermath is soooo not worth it.  Trust me. 
  2. Do NOT eat an entire box of chocolates.  Don’t get me wrong, those heart shaped boxes are one of the best parts of Valentine’s day.  But those situations have negative consequences later. Like not having chocolate left over for when you are desperately craving it. 
  3. Do NOT go cherub hunting. Apparently even though these flying babes are armed and ready to rumble, it isn’t considered “appropriate behavior” to shoot at them. Even when they are just decorations.  At Target.     
  4. Do NOT feel bad for being single. Being single is great because you get to focus on and pamper the most important person: YOU. 
  5. Do NOT expect your poor significant other to put on a breath-taking, angel praising, chick flick resembling, spontaneous, action of love. Dude, that’s a lot of pressure and they want to make you happy, but they aren’t perfect. So don’t expect them to be. 
  6. Do NOT burn down the kitchen. A fancy dinner is not worth 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree burns.   
  7. Do NOT put fake engagement rings into random glasses at restaurants.  It’s been done before, and sometimes ends in confusion and awkward silences. Especially for the mother and son who just wanted to have a nice dinner.   
  8. Do NOT encourage your friend/sister/etc., to go for the person you have your eye on.  If 27 Dresses and other chick flicks have taught anything, it’s that this strategy is not a good one. 
  9. Do NOT use spontaneity as an excuse to be stupid and not be safe in your celebrating, intimate activities. Be smart, don’t start……being stupid.  

Just remember to enjoy this day, like you would any other day.  And if you still really want a suggestion of what to do on this particular holiday, watching Sweeny Todd is always a good choice. 

I enjoy writing about varied topics, which is fueled from my love of talking to people.  I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, my goldfish Buttercup, reading, painting, anything competitive, Star Wars and gaming.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor