What Everyone Needs to Know About the 2016 Clown Epidemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

So far, 2016 has been one hell of a ride: Summer Olympics, this year’s election, Adele’s world tour starting on Leap Day, etc. All of a sudden, several children from a small town in South Carolina were stating that “clowns” were offering them money to follow them into the woods. Since 2016 has been known for some weird events, I personally thought this was just a hoax for America, but these clown sightings are starting to spread across the country and this matter is getting serious, especially on school campuses. 

The phenomenon all started in Greenville, South Carolina in early August when a couple of children claimed that a clown figure of some sort tried luring them into the woods by offering them candy and money. Luckily, those kids are safe, but unfortunately, that wasn’t the end of the clown era. There have been so many events occurring on social media, pertaining to clowns; threats of violence against students while naming particular schools for them to come “visit”, threats across different towns, etc. Seriously, America what is going on?  

About two weeks ago, a woman in Ohio claimed to be attacked by a clown on her porch while she was smoking at around 4am. She stated that the man, who was dressed as a clown, grabbed her throat and said “I should just kill you now… and then some students and teachers would wish they were never born at the junior and senior high school today.” Because of the attack, the Mount Notre Dame School cancelled Friday classes in that area. 

With all of the creepy sightings around the country, there have also been claims about clowns being spotted here in Utah! Just last week in St. George, a woman told police that she was walking in the middle of the night, when a clown had gotten out of a car and chased her. When she supposedly got away, he would not stop staring at her. That same night, a woman in Provo claimed that someone dressed as a clown ran across her suburban yard. They are coming closer to our homeland! 

I can tell you from a personal experience that I have encountered a clown in an unfamiliar place. I was visiting a friend at TCU two weekends ago and as I was walking back to my friend’s dorm after coming back from another house, I spotted something with curly red hair and weird clothing. I remember sprinting back to my friend’s hall, but I did not say anything because I wasn’t exactly sure what it was and I didn’t want to make a false claim. Turns out the next night after I came back to Utah, everyone from TCU on Twitter was ranting about how all the fraternity boys were on their golf carts hunting down a spotted clown with their golf clubs. Apparently it was the same one I saw that night before, and I couldn’t get that thought out of my head. 

Whether you are walking, driving, etc. and you see something out of the ordinary with a red nose (unless it’s Rudolph), do not be afraid to do something, even if they are just fraternity pledges jerking around. Do not ever walk alone at night, always be aware of your surroundings, and make sure to always have your pepper spray on you, ladies! There shouldn’t be any clowning around at this time of night. 

Grew up in the ocean of LA and in the mountains of Park City. I have the biggest passion for writing music... and also skiing. I was on the Dr. Phil show. Not for my problems, just for reacting to someone's discipline problems. I'm obsessed with shopping, Starbucks, Rap, EDM, and binge watching of Criminal Minds.  Follow me on the gram: @sophia_hella
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor