Well, Hello October, Bring on the Pumpkin!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As sweaters transition to the most easily accessible part of the closet with the cooler temperatures, taste buds transition as well. Thanks to Starbucks and grandma’s pumpkin pie, the orange vegetable (or fruit — it’s debatable) has become a comforting friend we all need when the cold weather creeps up on us. Although pumpkin can always be beautifully paired with some cinnamon and sugar, here are a few other ideas for making the most out of pumpkin season, aka fall. 

First of all, there are few things better than snuggling up with a hot beverage after a chilly day, but how about some soup! This combination of turkey, vegetables (including pumpkin puree), beans, and select spices will knock your cozy socks right off, all on a college budget (of course)!

While it would be nice to put aside time for all the recipes we want to try, there often are not enough hours in the day. Although you may not be able to throw together a gourmet dish in a little time, a quick, tasty breakfast can do wonders for the day! These breakfast bars save a lot of time and money, and they will leave your house smelling like a fancy air freshener. Pumpkin baked oatmeal bars don’t require many ingredients, but they will please your taste buds! The best part is that you can make them as complex or simple as you want by choosing what you throw in the mix.

A good dip can make or break a gathering. There are the classics like sour cream, Tostitos spinach dip, salsa, or good old-fashioned guacamole. How about bringing something new into the mix? Like hummus. Better yet, pumpkin hummus. Chickpeas intertwined with pumpkin, garlic, and chili powder create the perfect mix of flavor and texture to please a crowd. 

It is nearly impossible to exclude a treat when listing must-try pumpkin recipes. This time, why not add in some ginger, nutmeg, and an irresistible glaze to top things off? That’s right, I’m talking about a freshly baked pumpkin scone. Instead of paying a few bucks for a scone when you get your coffee at Starbucks, you can make a batch yourself if you set aside a sliver of time. These are also convenient to take when you’re on the move and can last throughout the week. 

Pumpkin season isn’t here forever, so make sure you get out and enjoy pumpkin recipes while you can! Happy eating, everyone!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

I am a sophomore at the University of Utah. I enjoy snowy mountains and wearing green shoes.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor