This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The week of classes before Fall break were a blur. Midterms are scattered throughout, the weather was swinging between t shirt or sweater appropriate, and conversations consisted of the excitement of going home to see families, boyfriends, hometowns, and to sleep in one’s own bed. Plus the few stragglers that were there to remind everyone that for whatever reason they had to stay on campus during break… my heart goes out to you. August seemed many moons away, and everyone was itching for a chance to eat anywhere but on campus, and to live a life free of their lecture hall class. Full of snaps, pins, DMs, FaceTimes, and planning, this week was especially exciting for me. I knew that Saturday night I would be reunited with my best friend – and not in our glorious hometown of Boulder, Colorado, but rather New York City.

Okay okay a little history is necessary to understand my excitement. Julia and I met our Freshman Year of high school, and have basically done life together ever since. Slumber parties, boy problems, high school dances, musical choirs, parties, football games. You name it, we did it – together. The kind of friendship you see in movies, and books are written about. Julia has had a dream of going to school in the big city since forever, and she actually made it come true, and was committed to PACE University in Manhattan in early April. I admitted to the U in May, and we were both so excited for ourselves and each other to start this new chapter of our lives. We knew we would stay best friends, be there for support, and expect updates on the good, bad and the gossip of our new friends and school.

Freshman year “jubi”

Senior year “jubi” (talk about a glowup)

I had never been to the “Big Apple” before, and obviously with Julia going to school there, I took the first opportunity to visit her during fall break. Packing my backpack with gossip girl inspired outfits, various protein bars, and an overflowing makeup pouch I headed to the airport Saturday morning with Friends galore downloaded on my iPhone’s Netflix app. The plane ride over was full of anxious leg shakes and scattered naps, I was about to be reunited with my gal pal, in her city, by ourselves. Once in New York, I was greeted by a humid hug of air that gave a slap in the face to my freshly straightened hair. I made my way to our meeting spot and was soon tapped on the shoulder by a blonde curly haired smiling New Yorker, Julia. A few squeals, hugs, and tears later we hopped in our Uber to her dorm just steps from the Brooklyn Bridge. 

First selfie sent to my mom (she replied with a cheering bitmoji of course)

A personal apology to our Uber driver who had to endure an hour and a half of teenage girl talk in high frequency voices laced with laughing, gasps, and screams. Exhausted, excited, and half convinced life wasn’t real, we made our way to her dorm with grumbling tummies. After meeting her adorable roommate and friends we all headed to China Town. Walking through high rises, squished rats on the road, people from all over the world, hot dog stands, deserted pants and shoes, beautiful murals, and probably 7 Dunkin Donuts, I tried to act cool but I looked like a kid in a candy shop… stopping every 20 feet to take a picture. And this was just the first night?? I know. We soon reached our first dinner destination. A hole in the wall, cash only chinese place, located in a basement of a building in Chinatown. Wo Hop was the name and WOAHPOP was it amazing. Full to the brim, we walked back to the dorms, I popped a Nyquil and I was out.  

A heaping order of sweet n sour chicken AND chicken lo mein (mega heart eyes)

Waking up to a foggy city with groggy eyes and damp lit windows, we swung by a local bakery for breakfast and headed on the subway (no one ever told me the subway is literally always at least 85 degrees) to SOHO for some morning shopping. I was wide-eyed as we strolled blocks upon blocks of high end boutiques and shopped. I became even more wide-eyed once looking at the price tag of a simple white tee (85$) or an adorable schoolgirl inspired skirt (250$). The only solution? Pretending we weren’t broke college students who question adding guac for 1.50$ extra, and trying on boujee clothes left and right throwing out comments like “if only this came in navy not sky blue” or “this is too last season” upon handing back designer clothes back to the nodding employees, and snootily making our way out of the store.  

Gossip Girl AF

The rest of the day was filled with walking and talking and pointing and laughing down the streets of NYC. Hitting all the must see’s we stopped by Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center, and of course the home of the blue box: Tiffany’s. Washing down a cookies and cream milkshake, we made our way back to Julia’s dorm to get ready for a night out on the town (and by that I mean we were the only ones under 25 at an open mic poetry night). The night was spent listening to poetry, constantly adjusting my thigh high books, taking pictures, drinking free water, and taking in the words of random citizens of the big city. Stopping by a Dunkin Donuts for iced apple cider to end the night, we went to bed exhausted yet fulfilled. 

Audrey Hepburn WYA??!!

Peep the thigh high boots :)

Julia’s sunglasses game is stronger than anyone I’ve ever met.

The next day what more could we do but shop? This morning we headed out to thrift shop in East Village. I was very impressed with New York’s thrifting scene, and couldn’t help but imagine the previous owners bustling through snowy New York, strolling around Central Park, or grabbing a quick snack on one of the city’s notorious hot dog stands. For lunch, we swung by one of the many one dollar pizza slice lunch stops. Fun fact, in New York, cheese pizza is called regular… asking for a cheese slice would raise a few eyebrows.

On our way back to the dorms, we looked to the distant Brooklyn Bridge and agreed we should walk across the iron giant, among the tourists and roadside stands of dingey keychains and faulty magnets. 

Starbs on the subway >

My REGULAR pizza slice (doused with pepper flakes and oregano of course)

From the bridge, you could see Staten Island, which sparked the idea of a Chipotle picnic on the Staten Island Ferry. A complete dream. Our evening was filled with carnitas, guacamole, and the foggy crisp breeze on the back of the ferry.

Just steps outside of the Universities Dorms

Sneaking a nap on the way back to Manhattan Island

The last day in the city, Julia had classes in the afternoon. Waking up early, we spent our last morning strolling around Central Park. The leaves just barely changing into deep reds and yellows, and pigeons gracing your every step, the park simply took my breath away. Sunken bridges and simple minded cafes pop up around every corner.   A square mile of green, peace, and young families with strollers surrounded by the hustle and bustle of high rises and office buildings was truly a precious oddity. 

Lost in the beauty of Central Park

As Julia left me to attend her college classes for the day, I found myself with an afternoon in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which is my bliss. Turning my phone off and whipping out my journal and favorite pen, I spent over four hours immersing myself into as many exhibits as possible, observing and appreciating its delicate and striking artwork.

I was taken aback at the striking artistry of this scene

Exhausted and full of amazing memories, pictures, stories, and laughs our last night consisted of a Friends marathon. The next morning we woke up before the sun to take me to my train to the airport, and after the biggest hug of them all, said our goodbyes (see you soons).

Basque proverb reads “With a good friend, hours are short”. Seeing your friends is literally the best, and so is traveling. A huge thanks to NYC, Julia, and her sweet sweet roommates that endured many photo shoots. With a happy soul, I made my way back to Salt Lake City convinced that absolutely everyone needs a weekend in New York with their BFF.

G'day, I'm Gabi. After a breakfast of a bagel and cream cheese, you can find me dancing, at the gym, hanging with friends, or off to road trip. Moving to Salt Lake City in August from Boulder, Colorado I am a lil freshman studying communications and modern dance. I am obsessed with pop culture, instagram, OOTD's, the Bachelor, and everything pink sprinkle donut.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor