david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

We Dare You to Beat Neil Patrick Harris and Fam at Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Neil Patrick Harris is well known for a wide variety of roles, from boy genius Doogie Howser to womanizer and suit-enthusiast Barney Stinson on How I Met Your Mother. But he is also infamous for his diehard commitment to Halloween. Harris and his husband, David Burtka go all in on family Halloween costumes for themselves and their two kids, Harper and Gideon. To truly get in the spooky spirit, take a look at their incredible costumes from 2011-2017.

Peter Pan – 2011

I believe in magic after seeing these adorable looks! Now someone give the tiny Mr. Smee some candy.

Wizard of Oz – 2012

A classic family costume executed perfectly!

Alice in Wonderland – 2013

Something about Neil and David as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum is just too perfect for words. Which one was which I wonder…

Monster Mash – 2013 (again)

Of course they love Halloween SO much, they had to come back for round two. You can tell the kids were loving getting their scare on!

Batman & Crew – 2014

Leaving the superhero-ing to Gideon and Harper, their parents brought life to the Riddler and the Joker!

Star Wars – 2015

Not only were these timely Star Wars costumed immaculate, they all had the posing down too! Just a couple months before The Force Awakens entered theaters, they pulled off an incredible Han Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and teeny Luke and Leia.

Hollywood Stars – 2016

Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Charlie Chaplin, and Groucho Marx having a casual get together in an old theater or just NPH’s family? Scientists can’t tell.

Carnival Gang – 2017

Leaning into the spookier side of the holiday with the downright unsettling clown and the apparently insane ringmaster, this carnival freak show is ready to hit the road!

While achieving this level of commitment to a family costume may seem out of reach, NPH and his adorable family can definitely offer inspiration for super fun group costumes! Happy Halloween!

Image Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor