Views on Valentine’s Day by the Perpetually Single Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Good ole Valentine’s day. Arguably one of the most controversial holidays there is. I’m sure you’ve probably seen people scrambling around in the “I am single and it’s almost Valentine’s Day” haze, rushing to find someone, anyone, to eradicate this loneliness that comes with the holiday. I’m sure you’ve also seen the people completely at ease with the approaching day because they are already in a committed relationship and probably already have cute and sappy plans for the annual day of love. But what about the people in the middle? What are they doing? Well I’m here to tell you.

I have always been single on Valentines Day. Always. Unless the love of my life magically appears in front of me while I’m walking home from class today, it’s going to remain the same this year as well. Does this thought bother me? Occasionally. Does it make me want to jump into any potential relationship that comes my way? No. Do I get jealous of my friends who seem to always have the most extravagant and romantic plans with their significant other on Valentine’s Day? Of course I do.

Sometimes it’s frustrating thinking that I’ve never experienced Valentine’s day with another person, and I can feel the impending doom starts to slowly settle on my shoulders as I agonize over my future of eternal singleness. However, as fun and detrimental to your health as it is to ponder your perpetual loneliness, don’t. Valentine’s Day is just one of three hundred and sixty-five. It’s a blip on the map of life. I get it. You’re usually the girl, who is not greatly bothered by things as trivial as Valentine’s Day, but every now and then the fear of solitude creeps into your thoughts. Don’t let it. Refuse to invite it in. While this Valentine’s Day is similar to every other one you’ve experience thus far, don’t let it be. Blur the lines of what Valentine’s Day is depicted as. Spend some time with you parents, with your friends, with yourself. And don’t feel like there is a right way to spend Valentine’s Day. 

Kaylee Ann Mortensen is a student at the University of Utah studying International Studies and English. In her free time she can be found reading, trying to master the language of french, looking up pictures of grizzly bears, and eating french fries.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor