brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Videography Tips for Every Beginner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

For everyone out there looking to be the next big vlogger, this article is for you. Not everyone can just jump right in and be an amazing videographer. It takes time and effort to perfect our craft. Below I have compiled four key tips on videography basics so that you too can get your best shot.

1

First, please film horizontally. It seems like such a simple task, but I promise I have missed out on a clip or two because of filming in the wrong direction. Many beginning videographers hold their phones exactly the way they would when taking a photo, but unlike still photos, you can’t really change a video’s vertical mode in post.

Photo Credit: Passion Passport

2

Use a tripod. Not all of us are looking for that shaky horror film footage, and the best way to correct that is by using a steady surface. If you’re planning on a moving shot and want to reduce shakiness, create yourself a dolly. Professionals may have expensive dollys, but a rolling chair has never steered me wrong before. Not every scene requires movement though, and through the use of a tripod, you can achieve many different angles than just your arms can reach. Don’t be afraid to vary in your shots, this is how you can keep your audience engaged in your videos.

3

When setting up your shot, take a few things into consideration. If you are planning on using multiple people in a scene, make sure to give them enough headspace. Often you find in post that you’ve cut off the tops of their heads, or left way to much room above. Also, rolling film is drastically different than still photography, so you can’t really change between different shutter speeds and apertures. This can cause your footage to change quite alarmingly, and often not to what you were wanting in the first place. If you don’t want to ignore all of your photography instincts, go back to techniques for composition and framing, like the rule of thirds. They will apply in videography too.

Photo Credit: Tristyn Page

4

Editing, of course, is a good thing to think about when you are shooting, because often it will change the way you film. Don’t be afraid to over film. Not filming enough is the only thing you should be worried about. Always film more than you think you will need. You never know how something is going to turn out once you start editing, and it’s way better to have too much footage than not enough. Give yourself room to experiment with transitions and effects. They can really change the way your film looks and feels, and it can set you apart from the crowd.

Always remember to be yourself when you shooting, no matter what the subject is. By using these 4 tips in your videography you can truly begin to set yourself apart from the pack and on the road to becoming a great videographer.

Hello everyone! My name is Tristyn Page and I'm a coffee lover from Idaho. I'm big into photography and videography, having interned in South Africa as one. My passion is to travel and document it all through media. I am currently a sophomore at the University of Utah and work for Fluid Peak Collective, a marketing agency as a photographer. Want to see more travel content and photography? Head over to my Instagram account!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor