Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Unsolicited: It’s On Us Fall Week of Action 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Hello all, sorry to interrupt your usually scheduled programming of my column “Unsolicited”, but I wanted to share a cause and organization that is near and dear to my heart: It’s On Us. Beginning this summer, I have had the great fortune of serving as the University of Utah It’s On Us President. Though the presidency is a volunteer position, it takes more hours a week than a full time job. Nevertheless, my presidency and involvement with It’s On Us has been a great way to heal from my personal experiences with sexual assault, and improve the experiences of and opportunities for sexual assault survivors on this campus as they pursue justice for themselves. If you’re looking to learn more about It’s On Us or get involved, have no fear because It’s On Us Fall Week of Action is right around the corner!

On Monday, October 22nd, the Wasatch Forensic Nurses will be at the University of Utah in SFEBB Room 160 from 2-3 PM to educate the public and student body on rape kits. The Wasatch Forensic Nurses perform the vast majority of sexual assault examinations in the greater Salt Lake area, which means they are some of the first people to interact with survivors after their assaults. While many people use the term “rape kit”, the duration and content of the examination is often ambiguous. It’s On Us and Wasatch Forensic Nurses want to eliminate the mystery of the rape kit and are open to any questions you may have. On a personal note, I am a strong advocate for rape kits, because I believe they open up more opportunities for survivors to pursue their cases.

On Thursday, October 25th, the Rape Recovery Center will stop by to celebrate It’s On Us Fall Week of Action 2018 and contribute to a discussion about sexual assault around Halloween in SFEBB Room 180 from 3-4:30 PM. It’s On Us and the Rape Recovery Center want to give you the tools to have a safe Halloween and Halloweekend!

On Friday, October 26th, It’s On Us will be closing our Fall Week of Action 2018 with a Candlelight Vigil to honor domestic and dating violence survivors on our campus and beyond. Please join us on the Marriott Library Plaza from 5-6 PM to show your solidarity for domestic and dating violence survivors and those who did not survive. There will be live chamber music and testimony from University of Utah students who have experienced domestic violence. This will be a peaceful gathering.

If you have further questions or want to get involved, please reach out to itsonusutah@gmail.com. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, and follow us on Twitter @itsonusutah!