University of Utah LGBT Resource Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The LGBT Resource Center at the University of Utah, located at the Student Union room 409, has many different resources to help students who identify as LGBT. The Resource Center’s goal is, “to provide resources, a safe environment for student interaction and outreach programs that help to educate the campus community in regards to sexual orientation and gender identity,” according to their website.

Many different outreach programs are offered. Queer Peers is one such program. This program offers confidentiality to those who are questioning their identity, as well as helping to spread the news on LGBT issues.These peers give students an anonymous person to ask questions to. All communication is confidential to make certain students feel safe and help support them as they explore their sexuality. A mentoring program is also offered through the LGBT Resource Center. This program pairs students who are just exploring their sexuality or coming out, with LGBT junior, senior or graduate students who have found self-acceptance and have came out. This program gives students a tool in helping to navigate the tricky coming out process. And gives them a mentor who has faced similar situations.

Fabulous Fridays is another program that is put on by the LGBT Resource Center. The event, which takes place every Friday from 3pm – 5pm offers games, free food and allows students to meet other individuals who identify as LGBT. They also can always be found at Utah’s annual Gay Pride Festival, and help lead the University’s Pride Week each fall.

The LGTB Resource Center also has working relationships with multiple organizations around Salt Lake City to ensure that it can best serve the students at the University of Utah. These organizations include the Utah Pride Center, Utah AIDS Foundation, Equality Utah and the Rape Recovery Center just to name a few. If you identify as LGBT and are in need of a support system, make sure to stop by!

Photo Source 1, 2

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor