The Ultimate U of U Guide to Pokemon Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As the hype of Pokemon Go fades, only the dedicated remain. If you’re on the verge of calling it quits because you never want to waste another Pokeball on a Ratatta, remember that Niantic is currently working on a slew of new features, including incense that attract particular Pokemon types, trainer battles, in game trading, and even releasing the second generation of Pokemon. To tide you over until the new features are released, here are some tips and tricks (and even a spawn site) for playing while on campus at the University of Utah.  

SPREAD THE LOVE & PLACE A LURE. 

The best way to catch Pokemon is also the worst way to study. Place a lure at the library. You can sit down, leave the app open, and catch Pokemon every five minutes. If you opt to do this, make sure to turn on the vibration setting so you don’t miss out on anything good. Unless you need to study in a particular place, you generally won’t need to place a lure as you can find a ton scattered across campus virtually any time before 5 PM. A great way to reconnect with friends is by meeting up on campus for coffee or sitting on the grass in President’s circle. Conveniently sit where you can set a lure and then you’ll not only get to socialize, you’ll get to catch Pokemon. It’s a win-win. 

POP AN INCENSE & BURN CALORIES. 

On your way home from campus, pop an incense and spend some time between the Business building and Presidents circle. You’ll find some great Pokemon, including Magmar if you’re lucky, who can spawn around the Union. This is a great way to add to your Pokedex and burn off the iced coffee you started your day with. If you’re playing in between classes, save your incense and use great balls or ultra balls to catch even low CP Pokemon quickly. No Pokemon is worth being late to class for… unless you haven’t caught it yet. Don’t worry about losing your great balls. There are so many Pokestops on campus you’ll fill up your bag at least once a day. 

GET SOCIAL AND MAKE SOME FRIENDS (OR RIVALS)

If you’re playing in between classes, it’s likely you won’t recognize whether a person is catching Pokemon or glued to their phone for some other pointless reason (Pokemon Go is everything). That being said, if you’re playing after 3 or 4 PM other players are easy to recognize. Just look for the person who stops every ten to twenty feet and starts aggressively swiping their finger across their phone screen. The poor soul is probably wasting ten Pokeballs on a Pidgey. If you find yourself stopped in the same spot, which happens quite a bit, give them a quick hello. Pokemon Go players are some of the nicest people, and they’d love to show you their Pokedex. You could potentially meet a new friend or rival if they play for a different team (ALL HAIL TEAM MYSTIC). 

STUDY AT A SPAWN SITE 

It’s been discovered that the University of Utah is home to a Charmander spawn site. Yes, you read that correctly. There is a little haven filled with Charmanders, Charmeleons, and even water Pokemon. Fire trainers rejoice! The William’s Building at the U spawns Charmanders almost every five to ten minutes. If you walk around the building you’re likely to catch more. After just a two or three hour period, you could potentially have enough candies to evolve your very own Charizard. I advise you to grab a blanket, your laptop, and head over to the William’s building to study on the lawn. Whether you want to share this information or keep it to yourself is up to you. Just remember, there’s enough Charmanders for everyone. 

With these tips and tricks, you’ll be on your way to becoming a true Pokemon Master! 

Pop-culture nerd, feminist, gamer, student. I drink too much tea and always have my head in a book. I write the nerdy stuff for HerCampus Utah.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor