U of U Guide to the Best Coffee on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you’re anything like me, then there is one thing you depend on every day to survive: COFFEE. This magical beverage is the only thing that gets me through the week. While everyone has their reasons, lack of sleep in college is extremely common. Staying up that extra hour to finish the paper, finish the episode, finish the season, or simply finish.., it’s nothing new; it just means one more cup of joe tomorrow.

So, whether you’re an insomniac like me who depends on coffee, or you’re just craving a cup, I present you with the University of Utah Campus Guide to the Best Cup of Coffee!

Of course the U is equipped with a few locations you can purchase a classic Starbucks drink, be it a frappuccino, or just a cup of the daily brew. The Campus Store has one of the chain restaurants on its main floor where you can grab a cup to go! If you’re up in the Fort Douglas area of campus, you can stop in the PHC and for one of their regular coffees at the Crimson Corner.  However, if you’re looking to get out of your Starbucks rut, below are the best places on campus to hit up.

For those engineers out there looking for a classic dark or medium roast, I recommend checking out the Starlet Commons Cafe in WEB. This café requires card or cash, unfortunately no flex dollars. But if you’re going to make it through the lecture, go for it! Starlet is more like a market regarding food and only sells the basic hot drinks, including:

• Coffee
  • Hot Chocolate
  • Hot Tea

You can either enjoy your coffee in class, on the go, or there is a nice area in the lobby equipped with tables surrounded by glass windows providing natural light!

One of my personal favorite spots on campus is Café Madsen in the David Eccles School of Business building. Located on the south side of the 5th floor, this small café provides a natural and relaxing feel. The tables sit against a large window overlooking the east end of campus, as well as a beautiful view of Mount Olympus. I recommend the Drip Coffee to get you going, it’s smooth and delicious. The menu is small but will appeal to and provide for any coffee lover with what they are looking for.

• Drip Coffee*
  • Pour Over
  • Espresso
  • Capuccino
  • Americano
  • Latte
  • Mocha
  • Chai Latte

The café also has a selection of sandwiches, which can be grilled, and delicious pastries! Madsen’s fairly inexpensive prices, quality coffee, and quality view add up to a nice little vacation from your day. Go ahead, treat yourself, and take a trip to Madsen Café.

For those students looking for a larger selection in a more classic coffee shop setting I recommend Two Creek! Located in William C Browning Building (WBB), Two Creek coffee shop sits on the first floor providing both outdoor and indoor seating. Two Creek is perfect for anyone looking for perhaps a fancier coffee, or a non-caffeinated but still delicious beverage. With its outdoor seating and frozen beverage selection Two Creek is also a more desirable destination in the warmer months, providing a nice escape from the stress. Below are the menu choices.

Non-Coffee Beverages:

• Chai
  • Hot Cocoa
  • Italian Soda
  • Iced Tea

Coffee:

• Espresso
  • Cappuccino
  • Macchiato
  • Americano
  • Latte
  • Mocha
  • Valrhona Mocha
  • Mexican Mocha
  • Drip
  • Shot in the Dark
  • Iced Coffee
  • Cafe Au Lait

Frozen:

• Latte
  • Mocha
  • Valrhona Mocha*
  • Mexican Mocha
  • Chai *
  • Lemonade

A personal fan of anything frozen and chai, I recommend the Frozen Chai or the Valrhona Mocha! Apart from coffee Two Creek offers a selection of pastries as well. With it’s intimate coffee shop feel, friendly service and large selection, Two Creek is a perfect place to plan a visit to during your school day.

Finally, if you happen to be in Aline W. Skaggs Biology Building (ASB) check out Brio Café on the first floor! Much like Two Creek, this café is an intimate coffee shop with a plentiful menu and surrounding seating with natural light. Not to mention the prices are relatively inexpensive as well. A personal favorite of mine is the dirty chai. A list of all other drink options is below.

Coffee:

• Drip
  • Iced*
  • Café Au Lait
  • Shot in the Dark

Other Options:

• Tea
  • Hot Chocolate
  • Steamer

Espresso:

• Americano
  • Latte
  • Mocha
  • Espresso
  • Capuccino

Chai:

• Chai
  • Dirty Chai *

So next time you are sleep walking campus, or are simply in the mood for a good steaming cup of joe, be sure to check out one of these locations.

May your coffee be strong and your Monday be short!

*Personal Favorite

Shaela Adams: is really just in love with the Earth. And peanut butter. And naps.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor