Top Coffee Shops in Salt Lake City for Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

When not in class or hitting the social scene, college students are often found with their heads in books – or so we pretend. The library often gets old a few weeks in, and so the students look elsewhere for study options. Where do they end up? Coffee shops. This list is a ranking of the top coffee shops to disappear to when you need a nice brew, a break from school, or to study up.

1.  NOSTALGIA CAFÉ, 248 East 100 South

Nostalgia is a prime study spot. Open from 7 AM to 12 AM, you can spend dawn to dusk hard at work. Huge tables and small couches cover the café, and the atmosphere is very friendly. Often times, many people sitting at a table do not know each other. When youre trying to focus, anonymity can be best. The wifi holds well, and the menu is reasonably priced. For around $4 pick up the London Fog, which is a creamy drink with earl grey tea. Buy ten drinks here and get one free.  The downfall? That the sandwiches and snacks are not cheaper. We cant have it all I suppose.

2.  CAFÉ ON 1ST , 39 I Street

Café on 1st has an indie feel, the café itself is fairly small, and that makes it feel crowded. You wont care though, because there is an friendly feeling between the people. You can hit Café on 1st 6:30 AM to 11 PM, which appeals to early risers and afternoon coffee fanatics. Whether youre studying or socializing, this is the place to be. The wifi is reliable, the prices average, and the coffee is supreme. If I cant recognize everything on the menu, Im impressed. Go into Café on 1st and let the barista surprise you. You wont be disappointed.

3. SALT LAKE ROASTING COMPANY, 320 East 400 South

Roasting Co. is a fantastic study spot depending on which time you arrive. There is an upper balcony giving the café an open feel. Parking can be more difficult to find because of the location, but if you can get a close spot it is worth it. Open between 7 AM and 10 PM, you should meander in for a quick coffee or study. Stray away from the spicy chai they offer, unless you love a lot of spice, but grab a vanilla latte and you won’t be disappointed. The Wi-Fi is very dependable, and the urban feel offers a good place to focus or play. 

4. COFFEE BREAK, 430 East 400 South

If you can withstand a lot of people and a lot of noise, then Coffee Break is your go-to. Take a seat at the comfy couches in the back room, or pull a chair out and set up at the tables in the front. Open 7 AM to 2 AM, Coffee Break solidly wins for the people who stay up late cramming. Pop in some headphones to tune out the overtly social humans surrounding you at all hours. The coffee is great for a head rush, and if you’re looking to stray away from the simple coffee selection, try the Dirty Irishmen, which is a shot of espresso that tastes like pure cream.  

5. COFFEE NOIR, 1035 E 200 S 

Snuggled in a little building surrounded by houses, Coffee Noir has a suburban feel. The hours are 6 AM to 9 PM, winning the early bird appeal out of the SLC area. The space inside is too small to accommodate large groups, but they redid their outside seating around may. They now have wooden booths and a little balcony area, which is great for those social gatherings we all need once in awhile. The coffee menu is fairly small, but they have a lot of tea options. Try the blood orange tea with limeade at the top and pick up a cinnamon roll to go with. They also offer wifi, so that’s a plus. 

6. THE ROSE ESTABLISHMENT, 235 South 400 West

If you’re into an edgy, indie feel, hit up The Rose Establishment. The open area of the café makes it feel urban. The pastry selection and cookie choices are divine. If you’re looking to spend your time with a friend this is a great place. Important to note that there is no Wi-Fi in the café, and you cannot get a large sized coffee. There is a more quiet feel here, but the formality can seem refreshing, especially if you’re on a date.

7. PUBLIK COFFEE ROASTERS, 975 S West Temple

Publik Coffee Roasters is a huge open space with high-speed wifi, run to Publik for a long study sesh or a quick drink with friends. They make their own bread, and it is delicious. It is a coffee shop ran out of a huge warehouse, so it offers quiet spaces and loud areas. If you’re looking at the menu, try the Cinnamon French Toast to snack on. Pair it with a simple iced coffee.  You may spend a little more than your average shop, but it’s worth it. Publik runs 7 AM to 6 PM. Unfortunately, the location is somewhat out of the way and the less appealing hours, this will likely not be your first stop. Still you should definitely try it sometime, you may be a regular yet.  

Pop-culture nerd, feminist, gamer, student. I drink too much tea and always have my head in a book. I write the nerdy stuff for HerCampus Utah.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor