Thrifting For Dummies: What You Need To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Growing up, clothing shopping with my family was never “let’s go to the mall, and get a few outfits.” Instead, it was always a challenge of how to get the most amount of clothes for the smallest amount of money that we could possibly spend. I’ve carried this mentality over into my life now that I’m living on my own; but, while I do understand the quality of quantity principle, I have shopaholic roots, and love when I see my closet full of possibilities, rather than bare pickings. The best place to get more clothes for your buck is definitely thrift and second-hand stores, and I have some tips I’ve learned over the years to help you find trendy pieces, without the trendy price.

Tip #1 Look on Every Rack and At Each Piece of Clothing

This can be time consuming, but it worth it in the long run. Sizes end up in the wrong place. Some larges tend to fit like smalls. Someone can stick a hidden gem in a random spot. All-in-all you must be patient and look at EVERYTHING.

Tip #2 Don’t Be Afraid to Try On

There are somethings I look at on a hanger and kind of like it but it’s not my favorite thing. Then I get in the dressing room and it ends up being the cutest thing that I have ever worn on my body. I know it was a good thrifting day when I see my shopping cart full of clothes, and I end up leaving with 3-5 pieces.

Tip #3 Donate, Donate, Donate

A way that I keep my closet updated, and not looking outdated is a personal rule that whenever I’m going to have a shopping spree at the thrift store, I always donate all the clothes I know I won’t wear anymore. You must be a stickler on this. Think “getting rid of old clothes makes room for new clothes” and who doesn’t want to trade out their summer tank top for a cozy winter sweater?

Tip #4 Get Ready for Compliments

Every day I get asked “Where did you get that dress?” or “I love your outfit!” I always follow back with, “Oh thank you, I got it at Savers for $4.00” Their reaction is priceless. I love to spread the word about second-hand and thrift stores because not only will they find cute pieces for themselves, they’ll be saving money!

A List of my favorite stores is:

Savers: 3171 E 3300 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84109

Plato’s Closet: 1913 W 4700 S, Taylorsville, UT 84129

Deseret Industries: 2140 S 800 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84106

Uptown Cheapskate:  2120 S 1300 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84106

After a trip to one of these locations, you’ll be an expert thrifter in no time!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor