sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Three Local Thrift Stores You’ll Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

There’s something so satisfying about finding a great deal. Maybe it’s just the relief of knowing you saved a little a little money, or maybe you find a deal that saves you a lot, but either way it makes thrift shopping a little more thrilling. Who knows what you’ll end up with! It’s also a great way to earn a little cash and get rid of the clothes that have been sitting in the back of your closet for months. Luckily, I’ve been around the block and know all the best spots for items to buy or places to sell if you’re looking for some cash. Here are three great local thrift stores to check out next time you’re in the mood for a good deal.

Iconoclad

Located on Broadway just below the University, Iconoclad is the best clothing consignment store in the city. It’s a great blend up upscale brands, everyday pieces, and niche items, so you’re sure to find something that fits your personal style. The clothing selection isn’t the only thing that makes this store great, they have two adorable shop cats roaming the floor and give you the most money back for the clothes that you sell to them. You can also link a Paypal account with them so when your items sell, the money is directly deposited into your account. Did I mention that you get to pick something from the ‘fun dumpster’ when you buy an item? In my case it was a slightly worn Harry Potter book. You also get a discount if you buy another item within ten days!

The Location: 414 300 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84111

The Money: If your items sell, you get to keep 50% of the profits

The Deal: A black denim Mossimo jacket for $15.  

Uptown Cheapskate

Uptown Cheapskate is a franchise thrift store that takes in and sells name brand clothing. Salt Lake has two locations, one found downtown and another in Sugarhouse. The Sugarhouse location definitely has largest inventory to search through, so you’re practically guaranteed to find something you love, it just might take you a little while. As far as selling goes, this store is great if you want cash for your items immediately and don’t mind that you’re getting a smaller amount of money upfront. Uptown also has great sales at the end of each season, specifically their ‘Dollar Days’ sales, where items from the previous season are sold for a dollar to make room for new inventory. If you sign up for their promotional emails, you’ll get sent a sweet discount for your birthday as well as other occasional promotions and coupons.

The Location: Suagrhouse, 2120 S 1300 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84106

The Money: A smaller amount of cash up front, or 25% more in store credit

The Deal: This Madewell tank top for $8

2nd Tracks Sports

This is the place to go for anyone who wants to get into Utah’s outdoor scene without breaking the bank on brand new clothing and equipment. 2nd Tracks is a consignment store that specializes in outdoor recreation equipment and clothing. Think tents, backpacks, skis, bikes, and any other type of equipment needed to spend some time in the great outdoors. Besides getting inventory from people in the community, they can get items from brands as samples or items that are overstocked and sell them at wholesale prices. They also carry popular name brand outdoors clothing like Patagonia, Marmot, Prana, and more. Their selling program is also amazing since they only take 35% of the total sale.

The Location: 2927 East 3300 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84109

The Money: They take a 35% commission, you keep the other 65%

The Deal:  This pair of seemingly untouched Chacos for TEN DOLLARS (normally over $100)

Sometimes you don’t always find what you’re looking for and other times you find the perfect deal. Regardless of what you end up with, thrifting is good for the environment, good for the wallet, and good for the soul. Be sure to keep these stores in mind the next time you plan a thrifting adventure!

(All photos are my own)

Hannah is a Senior at the University of Utah studying Kinesiology and Sports Nutrition. When she isn’t in class or working at one of her jobs, you can find her hiking with her dogs, reading, or fervently adding more pictures to her Pinterest Style board with a chai latte in hand. Find her on Instagram @hannahjanelangley
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor