toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Three Halloween Couples Costume Categories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Time to start pulling out candy, booze, boos, and Halloween costume ideas. The worst part of this holiday is coming up with something to dress up as – especially if you’re thinking for two people instead of one. But luckily for you, I’ve got some classic categories to get you thinking through your options.

1) Cartoon Couples

Examples: Wanda & Cosmo, Scooby-Doo Gang, Marceline & Bubblegum, Robin & Starfire

The handy thing about this category is that they’re all fairly simple (and adjustable). Because they’re cartoons, you’ve got basic colors and outfits to work with right off the bat, and if you need any help with recognizability, you can always cheat a little by using signs.

The downside is that you’re going to want to look just like your favorite cartoon couple, and if something doesn’t turn out perfectly, you’re definitely going to be tempted to scrap the whole thing. My advice is to pick a pair that you aren’t super invested in, so if you screw up, you won’t be too devastated.

2) Generic Monsters

Examples: Ghosts, Vampires, Skeletons, Werewolves, Zombies

Because you aren’t necessarily going for a specific character, you’ve got a lot more flexibility with this category. Hell, this is one of those last-minute DIY categories that I always rely on when I have a party to go to that I didn’t plan on attending. I guarantee you’ve got stuff in your closet right now that would work, plus throw on a little makeup and you’re good to go.

You definitely will get docked points for creativity, unfortunately. While it may be easy to go for a classic, you definitely won’t be the only ghost at your work costume party.

3) Unexpected Couplings

Examples: Sherlock & Watson, Purge villains, Calvin & Hobbes, Shego & Kim Possible, Little Red Riding Hood & The Wolf

Everyone loves a little unexpected on All Hallow’s Eve – so find the non-romantic couples (or obscure romance) and drive head first into it. There’s nothing quite like seeing a picture of arch nemeses kissing, especially if you like the people dressed up as them in the first place.

There are definitely going to be some strange looks from people – especially those who don’t really understand your costume or don’t know you very well. Showing up to a party dressed up like background characters from your favorite movie might seem like a good idea when you’re talking to your best friends about it, but Joe’s cousin from out-of-town won’t necessarily appreciate the reference like you want her to.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again – it is never too early to start making a list of potential Halloween costumes. Whatever you don’t use this year you might use next year! Plus, who knows which of your friends won’t think about it until a week away, and you will be their hero when you pull out a boat load of options. So get brainstorming with your Boo Thang and start prepping for Halloween.

Image Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 

Ailish Harris is a Stage Management and Performing Arts Design transfer student at the University of Utah. She's originally from Salt Lake City, UT, but was lucky enough to attend Emerson College in Boston, MA for her first 3 semesters of college. She has written for both Her Campus Emerson and Her Campus Utah, and is the current Editor in Chief for Her Campus Utah! She is a student leader in many capacities, working as the Secretary for Stage Managers at the U and as the Historian for the Department of Theatre's Student Advisory Committee. She loves Halloween, cooking, theatre, documentaries, organization, fashion, her pet hedgehog Chester, true crime, and Her Campus!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor