Wellness

Three Effective Self-Defense Products Besides Pepper Spray

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

October is safety month, which not only means spreading awareness about campus safety, but also being aware of your own safety. For those of us that stay places late at night (such as the library), not being certain if you will make it home safely is a genuine concern. Being able to defend ourselves can better ensure our safety when traveling alone at night or even during the day. There are many different devices you can keep on you while you walk or travel home that are very effective. I recommend that every girl have pepper spray, but just in case you’re looking for more options, there are plenty of other effective products you may not know about. So before you prepare your knuckle full of keys, check out these other safety products!

Ring Knife

One of my friends actually got one of these very recently for when she goes running. It’s pretty small and lightweight, which is perfect for exercising or if you just want something small and less obvious. The knife part of the ring has a cover over it that can easily be retracted for use. Pros include that the blade is very sharp and serrated which can also collect DNA from an attacker. Additionally, the fact that it is a ring means you can have it on you at all times and not need to reach for a keychain. Cons include requiring the person to be very close to you in order to use it, which is very scary. Lastly, although the blade is incredibly sharp and serrated, there is a chance you may need to stab multiple times to fend someone off.

Stun Gun

I recently got a taser and holy crap it sure is scary!! Not only does it flash a bright light when turned on, but it makes a super loud electrical noise that could freak out just about anyone. You may not even have to use it on someone, just the sight and sound itself could scare an attacker away, which is a huge pro. Another pro I thought was super cool is that some have a detachable key so it would be difficult for someone to turn it back on you. A common myth regarding stun guns is that they do not work through clothing, a taser just needs to be firmly pressed against the person to work, which may be tricky during the colder months. 

Whistle

One built-in fear that all humans have is fear of loud noises. While the fear differs slightly from person to person, any kind of sharp, loud sound instills a sense of danger and draws attention. Whistles do exactly this. The noise will drive an attacker away while also alerting people around you. 

While these products are great for self-defense, you can never be too safe. I like to pair one of these items with some kind of tracker app (such as Noonlight) to ensure maximum safety. There are so many products out there to keep you safe, so it’s best to do research to figure out what’s best for you in case of emergency. 

Image Sources: 1, 2, 3

I'm Anna and I am in the Chemical Engineering program at the U! I'm from Seattle, WA and came to Utah for school. Other organizations I am part of are ASUU, AIChE, SWE, the Utah Freeskier Society, and I'm a host at Porcupine!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor