Things to Know Before Dating a Low Maintenance Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

We’ve all been friends with or dated a high maintenance girl, and after just listening to her for 10 minutes, you can’t help but wonder how she isn’t exhausted from her constant antics. I’m pleased to tell you that not all girls are like this, and there is a rare breed of us that don’t need 24/7 attention and reassurance that you still like us. However, if you’ve never dated that girl before, here are some things you should be prepared for, because even the less crazy girls have their quirks.

1. She isn’t going to wear cute Victoria’s Secret pajamas to bed, she’s going to wear your t-shirts.

You’d be surprised how cute a girl can look in an oversized t-shirt and underwear, and she gets to be comfortable. Speaking of comfort, don’t expect lacey/strappy underwear either.

2. It drives her insane when you can’t make a decision on where to eat (or on anything else).

“Where do you want to eat?” “You pick.” “No, you.” For the love of God, you could say Chick-Fil-A at this point and I’ll be perfectly happy, just PICK SOMETHING.

3. A rented movie, take-out food, and a night in are the ideal date.

You do not need to take her out to a fancy restaurant really ever, unless there’s a special occasion. In fact, she prefers not to have to get dressed up or spend the money anyway.

4. She doesn’t have time for stupid girl drama.

Who had a drunken one night stand? She doesn’t care. Which means you don’t have to pretend to, either.

5. You don’t need to give her a 4 hour heads-up for her to be ready on time.

She knows she looks fine with little to no makeup, so she doesn’t have to spend hours trying to perfect her smokey eye. But be warned, on the occasion that she does take her sweet time to look nice for you, you had better acknowledge it.

6. Shopping all day bores her too.

You won’t get dragged into endless stores, because she hates the idea of trying on hundreds of clothes just as much as you hate waiting for her to do so.

7. You won’t wake up to 300 text messages.

She understands that you have important things to do during the day, because she does too. The idea of spam texting you when you fall asleep early because she has to know what you’re doing constantly is ridiculous to her. This works both ways though, don’t blow up her phone if she doesn’t answer you for a little while, because chances are she’s either busy. or pissed at you, and whichever it may be, you don’t want to make it worse.

8. She enjoys spontaneity just as much as you do.

You want to go skateboard in a parking garage at 1 A.M.? Sure, let’s hit McDonalds after too.

In retrospect, you’re probably wondering why you haven’t been searching for this girl the whole time. Even though she’ll steal you clothes and force you to make decisions, in the long run she’ll make you just as happy, with half the stress. But remember, just because she’s relaxed doesn’t mean you get to half- ass the relationship. I mean really, what girl doesn’t love some attention?

Hey! I'm Carmen and I'm a second semester freshman at the University of Utah. I'm originally from Virginia, I absolutely love to travel, and I'm a huge sports fan. I'm also majoring in Graphic Design and minoring in Business!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor