This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and if you’re feeling lonely, and looking for a date for that special day, don’t be ashamed to use Tinder. Yes, you read that right, Tinder. Now I’m sure we all have heard the reputations of this app. We have all heard the snickers and giggles of others when they hear of, or see someone using it. But, honestly, forget the speculation around the app and GO FOR IT! There is absolutely no shame in using the app to find someone. THAT IS ITS INTENDED PURPOSE! And when I say to not be ashamed, I know that may be a difficult task for some. Trust me, I know first-hand. I used to be embarrassed in using Tinder. When friends or family would see me on it, they would say things like, “You’re capable of finding someone in real life” or “Isn’t that just what people use when they want to hook up?” While these both may be true in other circumstances, they weren’t true in my case. I turned to the trusty app to find a real relationship. I was tired of trying to find someone I could connect with on our huge, commuter campus. I was tired of dressing up and going to parties to impress guys, who half the time wouldn’t even remember conversing with me the next day. I was tired of guys looking to just hook up; I wanted a genuine relationship with someone I really had a connection with!  So, I made my profile and started swiping away. It wasn’t long before I found a handsome guy, who I really enjoyed talking to. Fast forward to today, and we have now been dating for three months. A real Tinder success story!

Now, I’m not saying every person who uses Tinder will find a relationship out of it, but you shouldn’t deny yourself of the potential of finding someone because of the reputation that surrounds the app. My point is, it is more than okay to use Tinder, and you should not be ashamed of it. If you feel like your love life is a lost cause, it’s not. And if you decide to turn to Tinder, then do not be embarrassed. OWN IT! There are plenty of people who use it, and who knows, something good may come out of it. So if you’re looking for some romance this upcoming holiday, download the app, and get matching!

A California native, fulfilling my education in Utah. An English major and History minor. Also an avid reader, netflix binger, sports enthusiast, chocolate addict, and on occasion, a writer. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor