This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Good Kids, by Naomi Iizuka, is a new play that was written in 2014 as a part of the Big Ten Theatre Consortium’s New Play Initiative which was launched to highlight female playwrights and have important roles for women.  The play is based off of the Steubenville case, and is being put on by the theatre department here at the University of Utah.  The talented cast does an excellent job in portraying a group of high school students reacting to such a terrible event.

On August 12, 2012, the little town of Steubenville, Ohio was changed forever when a group of high school football players took a drunk girl home from a party and sexually assaulted her, took photos and video, and posted them on social media.  The assault case went to trial and gained national attention.  The young men  involved in the assault were put onto a pedestal by the media, and multiple news sources were reporting on the fact that these boys promising lives were ruined by this incident, leaving no room for sympathy concerning the victim.

Even though this play takes place in a high school, one of the most talked about topics right now is sexual assault on college campuses.  No matter where sexual assault takes place, it is never ok.  This haunting show will hopefully start a competition about the power of social media, rape culture, and sexual assault. 

Come see Good Kids in Studio 115, inside the Performing Arts Building (next to the campus store).  October 30-November 8.  Tickets are free for all University of Utah students with your uCard.  For more information visit:  http://www.theatre.utah.edu/event/good-kids/

I am an acting major who has a soft spot for puppies.  I cry whenever I see Christmas lights or hear Christmas music because the magic of Christmas is just too overwhelming.  I am completely and utterly obsessed with boba, Disneyland, Tom Hardy, and salt n' vinegar chips.  I'm from, like, California, and it's, like, pretty noticeable somehow.  In the future I want to live in a big city and be exactly like my mom because she is perfect in every way.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor