Thanksgiving Hostess Gifts–We Have You Covered!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If I learned anything about holidays growing up, it is that you NEVER show up to an event empty handed. Whether you are going to a friend’s house, meeting the boyfriend’s extended fam, or flying home… it’s always appropriate to bring a gift of gratitude. It will make you look good in all the ways. But time is running out, maybe the bank account is closer to empty than anything else and you are probs freaking out. But, don’t you worry I have you covered. I have found the perfect solutions to inexpensive hostess gifts that can fit any type of person from around the valley.

1. Holiday Movies

Elf is basically the best way to kick off the holidays. This movie should be in every collection, in every home in America. It’s the perfect gift to give a family and you all can snuggle up and watch it while you let your food settle and get ready for Black Friday shopping. Elf is available at Walmart for $8!

2. Pie

At every single Thanksgiving meal there is an abundance of pie. But more pie never hurt and especially in a different flavor. There is a bakery downtown called Sweet Cake Bake Shop where you can get delicious gluten free pies and other sweets. Since everybody these days isn’t eating gluten this may be a nice solution. They have several different options for prices ranging from $15 up.

3. Flowers

Another arrangement of flowers never hurt anybody especially during Thanksgiving where it’s a great decoration! You can get a cheap bouquet from any Costco in the area and it is worth well over the $15 you would pay. You can even go above and beyond and get one in the shape of a cornucopia to be super festive!

4. Cook Book

If you have never heard of Hip & Humble, you are missing out. This store has pretty much any type of knick-knack, gift, or clothing you could want. They have a large array of cook books which is the perfect gift for the chef in your life that is making the whole Thanksgiving meal. My fave is $16 and is all about foods you can make in pans in the oven.

5. Board Games

Taboo Buzz’d is the best party game I have played in a hot sec. When you are all waiting for the food to be finished you, and the rest of the attendees, will be thankful that you gifted this game. I can assure you competition will be high and laughs will definitely be had. The local ToysRUs in Sugar House has this game for $14.

6. Chocolate

See’s Candy, I really can’t say anything bad about this delicious company. Take a break from the pie and satisfy your sweet tooth with their Cranberry Orange Chocolate Truffles for $6 a box. Pick up a few and everyone will be thanking you later.

7. Candle

Within the next couple of days keep your eye out for any sales that Bath and Body Works might be having. They have awesome, large, 3-wick candles that go on sale all of the time. Any holiday scent you could imagine, you can find in a candle at this store. It is also conveniently located right off of Foothill or at Gateway mall.

8.  Alcohol

This is a great opportunity to support a local company. Polygamy Porter or Hive Winery are both from the valley and are sold around at different liquor stores for pretty inexpensively. Those that drink will be your best friend that night, as booze usually start to run low by the end of all Thanksgiving festivities. With booze tending to run low after a Thanksgiving meal everyone (ages 21+ of course) will be thanking you. 

9. Thank you note

You can’t go any further than expressing your heart felt gratitude if you are really unsure of what to bring. Bring this with a bottle of $2.99 Sparkling Cider and you are set.

10. Jewelry

What girl doesn’t love getting jewelry? Alex and Ani bracelets are all the rage right now and for someone that likes them you can’t go wrong with this gift. Pick up one of their holiday bracelets that start out at $28.

I hope that these last minute gifts help our in your pursuit of hostess gift shopping!

Olivia is a junior at the University of Utah. She enjoys Taylor Swift, dogs, and her sorority! She is a Strategic Communications major and is getting a Campaign Management minor and one day hopes to work in the world of advertising or trailing the next big political candidate. One of her favorite past times is crafting and Netflix, but you could also find her at Ugurt with her friends on any given night. She has an obsession with throw pillows and the color black and hates bad eyebrows.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor