Trader Joe'S
Trader Joe'S
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Ten Trader Joe’s Must-Try Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Trader Joe’s is the grocery store that truly has it ALL. Affordability, variety, flavor, and a whole lot more. They’ve got food for every meal of the day, but more importantly, they’ve got the snacks that you’ll be craving in between those meals. As I said, Trader Joe’s has it all, but their unique, tasty snacks that you can’t find at any other grocery store are what makes their store so great. I have yet to try something from TJ’s that I don’t like, and I could basically add every snack on the store to this list. But for the purpose of keeping this article short and sweet, I’ll stick with 10 snacks that I know everyone will love. 

store
Mike Petrucci

1. Organic Popcorn with Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Starting off strong with this, a favorite of mine and many other Trader Joe’s fans. You may think that most popcorn tastes the same and that you can get good pre-popped popcorn anywhere. That may be true, but this is my #1 favorite pre-popped popcorn I’ve tried — and I promise I’m not just saying that for this article. Maybe it’s the added flavor from the olive oil (which is subtle, so don’t let that turn you away,) or the perfect amount of salt sprinkled in. Regardless, if you don’t believe me, try it for yourself! 

2. Peanut Butter Filled Pretzel Nuggets

This combination may seem kind of strange at first, but trust me when I say it works so well. These are full of flavor and are a great savory snack to munch on during the day. Everyone I know who has tried these loves them; even one of my friends who doesn’t really like peanut butter is a fan! For a delicious snack mix, add some of these pretzels, the TJ’s popcorn mentioned above, and some chocolate chips to a bowl. You won’t regret it. 

3. Perfect Bars

These snack bars are not a Trader Joe’s original, but they are sold there for the cheapest price out of any other grocery store! They are chewy, dense, and very filling too. And they honestly taste like dessert to me. There are a variety of flavors, including chocolate chip cookie dough, coconut peanut butter, and dark chocolate almond. Don’t worry if you can’t choose though; you can’t go wrong with any of them! 

4. Trader Joe’s Yogurt

Trader Joe’s has a ton of different kinds of yogurt along with plenty of flavors to choose from. The vanilla or honey Greek yogurt are probably the two favorites that I would recommend. In general, yogurt is a fantastic snack to have to add some protein, calcium, and healthy fats into your diet. Trader Joe’s also has “Cultured Coconut Milk” and “Creamy Almond” yogurts, both of which are dairy-free, perfect for anyone with dietary restrictions towards dairy. Enjoy their yogurts plain, or add some fruit, honey, or granola to make them even more appetizing!   

5. Organic Banana Chips

These may seem like a boring item to make this list, but for some reason, they’re one of my personal favorite Trader Joe’s items. There’s just something about them that makes them addicting! And since it’s just dried bananas with no added sugars, that makes it healthy, right? Really though, these are a great on the go snack and they will surely satisfy your sweet tooth too. 

6. Vegetable / Chicken Potstickers 

I’m beginning to sound a bit repetitive when I say that everything is so tasty, but that’s only because everything on this list really is so tasty! These could be a meal as well as it could be a snack, but I’m including them anyway because they’re delicious. These potstickers are quick and simple to make — put them in a microwave-safe dish, add some water, microwave for just a few minutes, and serve! And good news for vegans and vegetarians, the vegetable potstickers are completely plant-based, so enjoy!

7. Trail / Nut Mixes 

Trader Joe’s has a whole wall dedicated to their trail mix and nut mix items. They have a bunch of their own mixes, like the “Simply Almonds, Cashews & Chocolate Trek Mix” and the “Rainbow’s End” mix, which is basically their own take on classic trail mix. Most of them come in individual packaging which makes them super easy to grab on your way out the door. With so many options, you can certainly find one you like! 

8. Organic Chocolate Chip / Mixed Berry Granola Bites

This is another relatively new item to the collection of Trader Joe’s original snack creations. Basically a granola bar in ball form, these would be the perfect back to school snack to send your kids off with! Plus, both flavors are vegan and gluten-free, meaning you can be free of any worry about dietary restrictions. These aren’t just for children’s lunchboxes though; be sure to pack some for yourself too. 

9. Corn, Pea, Bean & Quinoa Crisps

Before scrolling away because of the name of these chips, let me tell you that the name is very deceiving! Yes, everything in the name is an ingredient in the chips, but you can’t taste any of it, contrary to what the name suggests. Essentially, these just taste like a healthier version of a tortilla chip. They’re my go-to chip choice if I am trying to snack a bit healthier, but I surprisingly sometimes find myself reaching for these instead of tortilla chips. Like you would with a tortilla chip, try these with some salsa or guacamole for the best flavor!   

10. Gone Bananas / Gone Berry Crazy

To finish off even stronger than I started, these two items are amazing. “Gone Bananas” are frozen chocolate-covered bananas, and “Gone Berry Crazy” are frozen chocolate-covered strawberries, so find these in the freezer section. I love them both and truly don’t think I could choose one or the other. They are absolutely delicious and perfectly bite-sized. They can be a snack, dessert, or both, of course. They are absolutely delicious and perfectly bite-sized!

Gif of Michelle from Full House eating a plate of spaghetti
Giphy

There you have it, the 10 snacks you have got to try from Trader Joe’s! (Although to be fair, every snack there is a must-try.) The best part of this is that all of these items are affordable, which is great for us college kids. Additionally, even if you’re a picky eater, I guarantee you will like at least one thing on this list. But even if nothing here seems too appealing, head over to Trader Joe’s to pick some snacks out yourself because the ones here are only a fraction of the delicious items you’ll find. Snacking is kind of inevitable throughout the day, so you might as well find some you enjoy! 

Senior majoring in Communication and minoring in Spanish :)
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor