danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Talia Stivender: Utah’s Powerful Alto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Meet the eminent Talia Stivender. She is a freshman here at the University of Utah from the heart of the Bay Area, or in other words, Danville, California. She sings her heart out as an energetic alto in the University of Utah Chamber Choir while succeeding as an Music Education major with an emphasis in Choral Conducting. She is also excited to start her minor in Social Entrepreneurship! Want to learn more about her plans? Keep reading!

University of Utah Chamber Choir 

Her Campus: What inspired you to join the Utah Chamber Choir?

Talia Stivender: Well, I am from California and I moved here specifically to be in the Chamber Choir. They have won two world titles, and they are one of the best choirs I have ever heard in my life. It is such a privilege to sing with such great musicians every single day. 

HC: How long have you been singing?

TS: Since I was in the womb!

HC: What has been your favorite memory of Chamber Choir so far this year?

TS: On our first day of class, we got a piece called “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing” and had one thirty-minute rehearsal. Then the very next day, we performed for the entire First Presidency at the opening of the new LDS building downtown. That was pretty crazy! Other than that, just the comments that people make in class are really funny!

HC: Any upcoming concerts for the readers?

TS: We are having a Winter Concert on December 9, and as of right now, half of the theater is already sold out. The tickets aren’t even on sale yet, but we have booked a bunch of high school groups to come attend. Make sure you get the tickets as soon as possible! 

Buy tickets for the University of Utah University Choirs Holiday Concert here! http://tickets.utah.edu/events/university-choirs-holiday-concert/

Social Entrepreneurship Minor 

Her Campus: How would you use Social Entrepreneurship with your Music major? 

Talia Stivender: For anyone who does not know what Social Entrepreneurship is, it is basically starting a company that changes the world positively. So, I want to use choir to create a music outreach program that promotes the healing benefits of music–specifically choir, because there are a lot of things that people do not know that can actually change the world. There have been a bunch of new studies from the University of Michigan that show singing in a choir specifically can actually help heal symptoms of cancer and depression. I think everyone should be involved in stuff like that! 

HC: What first step are you going to take in fulfilling this outreach?

TS: I would say my first goal is to just learn because the more I go to school, the more I realize I do not know and I need a lot more experience about what I am doing in order to succeed in my career and my major. I have the best teachers in the world, which is extremely helpful. 

Average Freshman Questions 

Her Campus: What is your favorite thing about the University of Utah, besides the Music Department?

Talia Stivender: Definitely the people! Everyone is just amazing, I have not met a single person who has not been warm and welcoming and people here are willing to put themselves out there to help you out. 

HC: Favorite food?

TS: Any type of bread! Especially if you eat them all at once!

HC: Favorite nap spot on campus?

TS: The student lounge in the Music building on one of the couches! I see people sleeping on those at least four times a day – any time of day.

HC: Turn on’s?

TS: Kindness is cute – anyone who is a genuine human being and just a nice person will be a perfect 10 in my book!

HC: Turn off’s?

TS: When a guy is too conceited and hates Harry Potter! Also, he is a negative 10 if he hates bread. 

Grew up in the ocean of LA and in the mountains of Park City. I have the biggest passion for writing music... and also skiing. I was on the Dr. Phil show. Not for my problems, just for reacting to someone's discipline problems. I'm obsessed with shopping, Starbucks, Rap, EDM, and binge watching of Criminal Minds.  Follow me on the gram: @sophia_hella
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor