Survival Guide For Missing Your Pets While Away at School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

There are about a million reasons why going off to college is so hard: being out on your own for the first time, leaving old friends, making new friends, making all of your own life decisions, but the hardest part about moving away to college is by far leaving your pet behind. When I came to the University of Utah as a bright-eyed freshman, I had to leave behind my beloved cat, Leo, and dog, Lacy. I knew that leaving my furry best friends wasn’t going to be easy but I had no idea that I would find my self absolutely heart broken. Anyone who has been through this knows that I am not exaggerating. So here are a few tips that might help ease some of the separation melancholia.

1.Hang up pictures

Putting up pictures of your pets all over room will make them a part of your daily routine again. Hang them up everywhere you can. Even if you think it is too much keep putting them up. Seeing pictures of your pets while you go about day will help create the allusion that you see them everyday just like you used to.

2. Skype with your pets

This may sound silly but I guarantee that being able to actually see your pet in live time will do wonders. Most of the time your pets will be almost as excited to see you, as they would be to see you in person. It may make you miss them even more the first time you do it but the face-to-face contact will melt your heart, especially when they here your voice and start trying to get to you through the screen. I love it when they do that.

3.Volunteer at an animal shelter 

This tip is definitely killing two birds with one stone. You get to hang around and play with animals while at the same time you are giving back to your community. Service is a guaranteed resume booster so while your enjoying the love of these animals you will also be helping out your future.

4.Befriend people with pets

Becoming friends with people that have pets will not only give you a great opportunity to give the love you can’t give your own pet, but it may also land you a cool person to go get coffee or see a movie with. If you are really lucky you may even find a person that becomes a life long confidant and support system. Never under estimate the power of bonding over animals.

5.Visit home often

Going home as often as you can may seem like a good way to break your own heart because you will just have to leave again, but I assure you that even if you just have 20 minutes with them it will do the both of you a lot of good. No matter how little time you have available, that little bit of interaction will always be worth it and give that one extra memory that you can hold onto when you separate again.

Being separated from what you love will always be difficult, especially when they have four legs and are covered in fur. The biggest thing to remember is that no matter how long you are away at college, your furry best friends will always be there to welcome you back home. 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor