Study Abroad: Love in the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

“¡Que Linda!” Men of all ages shout as the women of Buenos Aires walk down the street. It has been said that if a man doesn’t tell a woman how beautiful they are once a day while in the city, then something is wrong. As a part of the Porteño culture here, men show no shame in acknowledging the beauty of a woman.

While at first I believed it to be derogatory, I finally realized that unlike men in the United States who rarely praise women openly, the men here are serious yet playful, and most importantly, appreciative. And while I usually show no emotion on my face when I get a playful catcall – I always smile inside, thankful that someone made my day.

There is not a day that goes by that I don’t see simple acts of love throughout this city. Two older women stroll through the gardens, hand in hand, giggling like two schoolgirls. Nearby on a bench two old men lean their heads together, with delight in their eyes, whispering secrets. Under the streetlights, lovers’ young and old share a passionate kiss. On the bus a teenage daughter grabs her mother’s hand for comfort. And outside a heladeria -a grandson- feeds his feeble grandmother an ice cream cone, while animating an elaborate story.

People here hold on tight to their families, fall for love, and treasure their friendships- and it doesn’t go unnoticed.

Instead of shaking a hand when meeting someone new, or waving goodbye, people embrace and kiss one another’s cheeks. Everywhere around me, people are kissing hello and goodbye in a simple gesture of affection unheard of in the United States.

Living in Buenos Aires and assimilating to the culture has taken time, but as the days go by, I find myself retreating from being shy and opening my heart more easily. Each day I greet my friends with the customary kiss on the cheek and in that sincere and warm acknowledgment, it becomes evident that the friendship matters. As a result, I have become closer with my loved ones and friends back home and I no longer waste time in sending them kisses and love.   

So, in light of my revelation and the cold winter storms brewing in Utah, I propose that you warm up in a big bear hug next time you run into a friend. Make chocolate chip cookies for your neighbor or, give your Grandmother an unexpected call to say hello because if I have learned anything while studying abroad, it’s to not let a day go by without letting someone know how much you value them. 

Lexi Jones is a senior with a double major in journalism and anthropology at the University of Utah. Born and raised in Salt Lake City, she loves exploring the outdoors, rock climbing, music, and writing. She is currently a museum aid for the Bureau of Land Management. She has interned with LDS Living magazine as a writer, the Utah Museum of Natural History in the anthropology lab, and the National Society of Leadership and Success as a founding chapter president. Her inspirations are Mark Twain and Paulo Coelho. Lexi aspires to be a freelancer for National Geographic. Always pursuing multiple passions, she is currently applying to graduate school for a Masters in archaeology and a Juris doctorate, and yes, she does plan to enroll in both at the same time.