Stop Your Utah-Shaming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you tell anyone you’re from Utah, the first question you usually get is “Are you Mormon?” and/or how many sister wives you have. If they don’t ask you about your religion or your family, chances are you’ll get questions about skiing or snowboarding. While none of these stereotypes are terribly inaccurate – the majority of the state is  actually LDS, polygamists do live all over the place here, and everybody seems to ski. Oh, and the rumors are true, we serve jello at our Mormon family parties, too.

With all the stereotypes about the Beehive State holding true, where do I, a non-religious, non-conservative, jello and sport-hating woman, fit in in this place?

I’m not a minority in Utah, nor do I feel excluded or out of place in this state. In Salt Lake City, the only thing that makes me abnormal compared to others, is the fact that I have little interest in outdoor recreation. Salt Lake City has a thriving LGBT community, large numbers of political activists, exciting nightlife, and probably just as many quirky independent coffee shops as any other major city (not to mention the depressing and ridiculous gentrification of neighborhoods). While it is nestled in the middle of a majority-LDS state, surrounded by counties that always vote for the Republican candidate, Salt Lake City is just like any other major city in America – full of excitement and vibrant culture.

One might argue that Salt Lake hosts a more diverse population than other big cities around the country. Sixty-five percent of the population is now in favor of legalizing marijuana! I bet money that no one would imagine Utah as a state in favor of legal marijuana. Our government decision makers are mostly old white Mormon dudes, but Salt Lake City’s mayor is an openly gay woman. We have a long way to go, but we’re taking strides towards improvement, and we’re further along than outsiders perceive us.

I don’t feel out of place in Salt Lake City. Granted, I occasionally run into polygamists at Costco, but it’s part of my experience living here. The social, religious, and political dichotomies are part of what define Salt Lake City and make it a special place. When you think about Utah and the church is the first thing that comes to mind, also consider that Salt Lake was named the gayest city in America in 2012. While Utah stereotypes are pretty funny and oftentimes accurate, don’t let them define your perception of this state, particularly our capital city. Our weird culture is part of what makes me proud to live here.

1, 2

I'm a sophomore at the University of Utah majoring in Communications with a minor in Gender Studies. When I'm not studying or sleeping, I enjoy figure skating and listening to podcasts with my cat. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor