sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Spring Break Essentials: A Packing Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Spring Break is right around the corner, however, that does pose a problem…what in the world are we supposed to pack?   

It’s like knowing what you do for fun up until someone asks you, “So what do you like to do for fun?” when you suddenly can’t remember anything.  You know exactly what things you can’t go a day without until you are supposed to be packing them up to spend some time away from the apartment.   

Whether you are going abroad, visiting family (free food!), becoming reacquainted with Netflix after midterms or traveling within the states with friends, these are the items you should make sure you have with you.  Because nothing is worse than getting to where you’re going and realizing you forgot your phone charger.

1. An extra change of clothes.   Now I know you’ll be bringing clothes (well, I hope you are bringing clothes), but this should be an extra set.  Because it rains.  Or here in Utah, it snows and the last thing you need is to underestimate how many pairs of pants you needed for the weather blues.  Also, walking around in wet socks because you forgot to bring an extra pair? Not pleasant.    
  2. A jacket/ sweater.  This is so important. I am not grouping it with the clothes mentioned above.  You might be thinking, “I’m going to in a warm, tropical place for Spring Break, why would I need to bring a sweater?”  Um, have you seen weather ever? It can change in an instant, be prepared. Plus, planes can be chilly!
  3. Sunglasses.  The sun is warm and inviting, so it should be friendly right? Wrong.  It wants to blind you with a fiery passion.  Who wants to be squinting through their “should be tumblr”, Spring Break selfies?  No one!  So please, please be nice to your eyes and bring a pair (or two) of sunglasses.    
  4. Toiletries.  Never anticipate that wherever you’re staying will provide hygiene items for you.  That much-needed break from school does not give you a free pass to be gross, so bring a toothbrush.  And deodorant.  Also, a brush.  Plus women things. Call me a girl scout, but I would rather be wrong with unused products, than wrong and having to break into my extra change of clothes. Her Campus at the University of Utah recommends throwing in some L’Oreal Sublime Breeze Self-Tanning lotion and towelettes for an instant glow when you’re on the go! 
  5. A book.  I know most people have every second of the break already planned out, but waiting around for transportation or plain ol’ down time generally will show its face no matter how much you cram into your week.  Keeping this in mind, bring a book or something you enjoy doing during said downtime, that way you don’t have to count the ceiling tiles again.  Other ideas for those who aren’t readers; a deck of cards, handheld video game or a coloring book.    
  6. Your phone charger.  I have bought my fair share of phone chargers while up and about on the town.  However, it would be awful to find oneself in a place where the specific type of charger needed is unavailable.  DO NOT forget to bring your charger.  Not only is your phone a form of communication (emergencies and whatnot), but for most of us, it is also our camera.  And those selfies deserve to be taken and posted until your friends are sick of seeing your face on their feed.      
  7. Medications and First Aid things.  Your prescriptions, pain medication (gotta love that ibuprofen) and bandaids are essential!  These are things you don’t think about needing until you cut yourself or you are in serious abdominal pain.  So keeping the comfort of your future self in mind, have your present self-pack a few pills.  One cannot fully enjoy a break from school while in pain. 
  8. Cash.  Cash is nice to have on hand all the time, but especially while traveling.  You never know when shops will not accept your card or when you’ll find that scarf from a street vendor you must have but he haggles in cash exclusively.  Make sure you hold an extra $20-$50 (or more if desired) for the shopping “emergencies” that will arise.     
  9. Identification.  Do NOT forget your ID, driver’s license, passport, (etc.) while on the move.  Especially if you have a young looking face (don’t worry, you’ll love it when you’re older) because, apparently, people don’t automatically believe you when you tell them your age at a club.  Also, you must be 21+ for certain rentals or activities that require waivers, so keep that in mind while planning out your agenda.   

We hope you have a wonderful and safe Spring Break! 

I enjoy writing about varied topics, which is fueled from my love of talking to people.  I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, my goldfish Buttercup, reading, painting, anything competitive, Star Wars and gaming.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor