This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If your March lectures are filled with daydreams of bikinis, beaches, and beer, it might be time for you to take a load off and break out the wallet for an extravagant spring vacay. But as college students, not all of us can afford a week-long stay in a foreign country (damn you $200 textbooks). So for all of you crunching numbers in your head right now, I have compiled a list of spring break ideas that won’t break the bank. But a word of caution before I get into it, PLEASE don’t cash in your extra financial aid to blow it on a trip. It might seem like it is a good idea but don’t forget that you may have that cash now, but you’ll still have to pay it back down the road. It’s also obvious that airfare takes up a large portion of your vacay budget, so if at all possible take a few days and drive to your destination and enjoy the scenery along the way. Yes, it will probably take a little longer to get there, but the whole point is spending time with your friends, right? Bonus: you don’t have to pay for all of those expensive airport snacks and be stuck next to a crying baby (unless you have a friend that recently ended a relationship and broke out the vodka early, then I might just take the baby).

Here are a few spring break ideas that won’t blow your budget!

Source: afcurgentcarenewbritain.com

Clearwater Beach in Florida beats out other heavy contenders along the Florida coast such as South Beach and Coco Beach. Beautiful sandy beaches and blue water without the crowds? Sign me up. If you do end up here, take time to get some fresh fish at Frenchy’s, because it’s famous for a reason.

Source: Getty Images

Galveston Texas is also a great pick if you’re up for a less party hard crew. Situated along the Gulf of Mexico, Galveston is full of fun, complete with roller coasters, water parks, and all the junk food you can eat. Not up for the beach? Take a stroll through the Galveston Art Center, a truly enjoyable experience. Away from all of the crowds you can be sure to find better deals to fit every budget.

Source: Pat Sullivan

Not a fan of the sand? Stick to the snow that all of us Utahns love and take a ski vacation. Skiing can eventually add up to a pricey total but there are ways to make it more affordable, such as this article from the Penny Hoarder.

National Parks are also a great idea if you’re looking for something a little cheaper. Grab a tent and a few friends and spend a few days under the stars. Most campgrounds are free and for only a little cash you can even get a shower. Who wouldn’t want that?

Source: Getty Images

Not everyone can afford to go sauntering around the world for spring break, and honestly, not everyone wants to. So go ahead and spend your week on a beach or climb a mountain. The possibilities of balling on a budget are endless when it comes to your spring break.

Hello everyone! My name is Tristyn Page and I'm a coffee lover from Idaho. I'm big into photography and videography, having interned in South Africa as one. My passion is to travel and document it all through media. I am currently a sophomore at the University of Utah and work for Fluid Peak Collective, a marketing agency as a photographer. Want to see more travel content and photography? Head over to my Instagram account!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor