This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Every year, a new movie comes out for Halloween. It feels as if Hollywood is trying to get every last drop out of the best holiday. It seems as if there’s no genre between horror and animated children’s movies for the traditional Halloween lover. Well, fear not, for I have compiled a list of classic suspense, comedy, nostalgic movies that will bring you Halloween cheer without the fear.  

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

I don’t love this movie just because I have a crush on Cary Grant. This movie is the perfect combination of suspense, romance, and comedy, and will definitely become one of your favorites.

The Private Eyes (1980)

Before the comedy duo of Jim Carey and Jeff Daniels there was Don Knotts and Tim Conway. Prepare for a laugh while you watch two bumbling detectives try to solve a murder case. You’ll love the zany crew of Morley Manner’s staff, and although some of the jokes are dated, the overall show shall always be a classic.

The Thin Man (1934)

This detective movie stars the one and only William Powell, a hottie of the 30’s. Based on the book by Dashiell Hammett, this movie shows famous (retired) detective Nick Charles, his wife, and his dog trying to solve the puzzling murder of an old man. Romance and betrayal abound, this mystery is definitely a must-see.

Clue (1985)

No Halloween movie list would be complete without the timeless classic Clue. One of the few movies to be based on a board game, one might think there isn’t much material to go off of. That is certainly not the case. With an all-star cast and inappropriate humor, this comedy proves itself every year. 

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken (1966)

If you’re looking for a lighthearted movie to show to a “little” audience, this is the movie for you. This family-friendly comedy features the hilarious Don Knotts as a frightened, if determined, man who wants to prove himself to his coworkers and his lady love. Watch as he grows in confidence while trying to solve the mystery of a supposedly haunted house.

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! (1966)

It’s hard not to love some good ‘ol “Peanuts.” While only 25 minutes long, this light-hearted movie packs in a punch of nostalgia. Want to feel like you’re eight years old again? Pop in this movie, eat some pumpkin pie, and relax to the sound of your childhood.

Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

Although it was remade with better quality, can anyone pass up the acting powerhouse that is Tim Curry in drag? I mean, who doesn’t want to watch a musical movie about a “Sweet Transvestite” and his crazy crew?

Young Frankenstein (1974)

Ever want to see Willy Wonka if he was an evil genius instead of a good one? Look no further! Gene Wilder plays Dr. Frankenstein’s unruly decendent in this fun-filled spoof of the classic tale. See why Mel Brooks considers it his finest movie!

Beetlejuice (1988)

This movie was recently made into a musical, and you can see why! Directed by Tim Burton, this fantasy-comedy-horror (not kidding, that’s the genre on Wikipedia) will have you rethinking your concept of ghosts.

Psycho (1960)

You may know the soundtrack to this Alfred Hitchcock masterpiece, but the plot isn’t the paint-by-numbers horror you’d expect. This movie is called a classic for good reason. The beginning may keep you guessing, but the ending will astound you (Am I being vague for a reason? Yes, yes I am. Maybe this way you’ll watch it).

Who says that newer is better? Watch some of these and you’ll see why they will forever be spooky-time favorites. Cuddle up, grab a blanket and some pie, and enjoy some of the best Halloween movies ever created. 

Hello! I am a junior studying Peace & Conflict Studies and Strategic Communication at the University of Utah. I am also minoring in Political Science. I am passionate about advocacy, education, and Star Trek!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor