Six Signs You’re an Extroverted Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It is possible to have both extroverted and introverted tendencies – you don’t have to be just one. You may be bubbly and outgoing at sometimes, but you also prefer silence and the security of being alone with yourself…and that is perfectly okay. If you’re thinking that you may identify as this mysterious hybrid, then read on.

1. When you’re out at a party or hanging with friends, you love it…but the thought of going out is unappealing.

When your friend texts you and asks if you have plans that night, your gut reaction is to say “I’m busy.” Even thinking about the energy required for socializing is exhausting, and hanging out with yourself sounds like the most lit Friday night.

But…if your friend finds a way to yank you away from Grey’s Anatomy and your bag of hot Cheetos, you are pleasantly surprised to find that you have a great time hanging out. You wonder why you didn’t jump at the chance in the first place because you come alive when you’re out with others.

2. You’d rather stay in with Netflix and or a book, but you also feel the need to Snap Chat or text your closest friends.

When you do end up staying in instead of heading out with friends, you don’t want them to think you have forgotten them. You still like being somewhat included in your friends’ plans, even if you’re happy alone. 

3. You’re quiet, but it does not mean you dislike people.

Let me present your most commonly misunderstood aspect of your personality: the belief that you dislike people simply because you are a naturally quiet person. Just because you don’t talk as much, it doesn’t mean you hate others’ presence – most of the time you’re extremely engaged in what others are saying and are listening intently. You enjoy being included in the conversation even if you don’t have as many words coming out of your mouth. Ultimately, you’re just more stingy with your sentences and particular with your phrases; you’re very calculated in your communication.

4. You alternate between wanting attention and wanting no attention at all.     

You may love being onstage, public-speaking, and performing, but when all eyes are on you during a conversation, you become extremely uncomfortable and need your space. You’re a strange specimen in that you may love the traditional spotlight, but the social spotlight is suffocating.  

5. You love socializing in small groups of people but tend to become silent in large groups.      

When you’re in a smaller group and can actually have a meaningful conversation, you feel safe and enjoy it. You love socializing and engaging with small groups of people because you feel like you actually get to know who they are; you can be wild and let your quirky traits show without feeling too vulnerable. On the other hand, large groups of people tend to work as a metaphorical muzzle – you tend to withdraw into yourself because you don’t typically feel comfortable in large group settings.

6. When you’re out at a social gathering, you love it until you hit your limit and need some space.

You love people, but showing your extroverted colors truly drains you. You long for your bed, your pets, your books…and the silence. The extrovert part of you retreats into its cave to hibernate and recharge until the next excursion.

Being an extroverted introvert can be confusing, and even exhausting. Next time you find yourself bailing on group plans or enjoying the comfort of just three best friends, remember that it’s okay to be both introverted and extroverted — it’s who you are!

Sources: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor