Sisterhood Withdrawals: My Experience Declining a Bid After Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Sororities. Some girls love them, some girls hate them. For me, a transfer student from a community college, I longed to be a part of a sisterhood at my new University. I transferred my Associate degree to the University of Utah and began my first semester on campus a few weeks before recruitment. I had been planning since January to attend recruitment and with September just a few weeks away I was practically counting down the days. I went to the pre-recruitment barbeques and meetings and really knew this was what I wanted to do. I was more excited than I have been in a very long time!

Recruitment finally came and after a weekend of meeting amazing girls and having some great (and mildly awkward conversations) I had my moment. The moment that every girl who is going through recruitment waits for. The moment you know which house is your house and which sisters are your sisters. I felt a warmth in my heart looking at the sisters in the room and I wanted so badly to be able to call them my own. I remember hugging the president as I exited the house on preference day and wanting so badly to be able to call her my sister.

I went to visit my parents that night excited to tell them about the weekend I had and the choice I had made but I soon realized they weren’t sharing the same excitement I had bursting inside of me. Although they were fully supportive of whatever decision I made, they made it known that they didn’t agree with the cost that would come with joining.

I fell asleep that night with calculations running through my head trying to figure out ways I could afford to make this amazing commitment. I had saved up the money earlier in the year specifically for sorority fees but because of a mistake I made in withdrawing from classes during summer semester I was out of luck. On the last day of recruitment, five minutes before the girls were scheduled to open their bids, I made my decision not to join a sorority and left. Just a few minutes later while walking to the library I heard the excited screams of hundreds of girls opening their bids and finally finding their place among their new sisters. That was not an easy moment for me.

It’s been a week since I had to decide and I’m still bouncing between relief and sadness. I feel like I’m going through withdrawals from my dream of being in a sisterhood and no one gets it. On the one hand, I am much more financially stable than I would have been had I joined and this has definitely relieved some stress. However, on the other hand, I’m missing out on a sisterhood which would have changed my time at the University of Utah.

When I made the decision I didn’t realize how much I really did long to be a part of the sorority I bid for. I wanted to be able to “throw what I know”, hang out with my sisters in the library, go to weekly Monday meetings and have sleepovers at the house. I thought after a couple days I wouldn’t really care anymore, but I was wrong. Who knows, maybe next year I’ll be happy with the decision I made but for right now it definitely still hurts.

I don’t know every girls situation and I’m sure I’m one of many who has gone through this experience. One thing that makes my case unique is that I’m a junior so I won’t be going through recruitment next year. If you’re a freshman or sophomore I highly recommend going through recruitment again and I met lots of girls at recruitment who were doing this! All I can say is listen to your heart and go with your gut because in the end is it really the money you remember or is it the memories you made?

Kristen is a junior at the University of Utah. She's majoring in Linguistics and banking on the idea that it will allow her to live around the world for awhile! She's enjoying living off ramen noodles and mixed drinks (what else do you expect from a college student?).
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor