This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

“What about this guy?” Lundon asks, pushing his long brown hair out of his face.

I roll my eyes as our waiter passes our table. “No, I am not interested in dating Fabio.”

My brother’s loud chuckle makes me jump, you would think that after 21 years I would be used to it. I re-adjust my chopsticks and pretend like I know how to use them.

“I’m going to ask him to give you his number when he comes back with my coke.”

I point my chopsticks toward Lundon, accidentally throwing rice onto his half-empty plate. “I swear to God, if you say anything besides, ‘thank you’,” I say between a laugh, “then I will tell him I am a lesbian and make you look like an idiot.”

Lundon makes a disgusted face as he flicks off the un-welcomed rice I threw at him. “Lucky for you, I have no pride. So it is nearly impossible to embarrass me.”

I take a deep breath as Fabio places the coke in front of Lundon.

“Hey man, I don’t wanna be too forward,” Lundon starts to say.

My stomach coils as I debate my escape options. The doors are too far away; Lundon drove so I couldn’t go anywhere even if I did run, so naturally my only option is owning my fake-lesbian title. He’s just messing with me anyway, there is no way he would really ask him.

“But are you single?” Lundon asks.

I start choking on the cooked broccoli that is half way down my throat. Not because he actually followed through with it, but because he made it seem like he was interested in our waiter-not me. Lundon’s face starts to tint red as he realizes his poor word choice.

“I’m flattered,” the waiter starts to say.

“Oh, no! I didn’t mean for myself,” Lundon interrupts.

I see my escape route and take it. “I’m sorry, my brother is a little shy about his sexuality. He thought you were very handsome and is now embarrassed that you don’t play for the same team. You should probably just give us a minute.”

I hold back a laugh as our waiter awkwardly leaves our table, and continue to eat my teriyaki bowl.

“Well I stand corrected,” Lundon says. “I suppose I do have some pride when it comes to my sexuality.”

“Don’t worry, I accept you.” Single and not ready to mingle.

I love Cabins surrounded by trees and words that combine into a beautiful story. Creating stories from my awkward life experiences is almost as great as listening to a rainstorm pattering against my window as I drift off to sleep. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor