This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Of course there are many ways as to go about being more environmentally friendly, but the following particularly stand out. We all make an individual impact and footprint on our planet. Begin, or continue taking steps to shift towards a personally sustainable and eco-friendly lifestyle! 

Stop Using Disposable Wipes 

Disposable wipes are a major culprit of collective human waste. Though they’re convenient, the harsh reality is that they are almost completely non biodegradable, they’re responsible for a huge chunk of waste that makes it into the oceans and can be responsible for sewer issues and blockages. Opt for hand sanitizer instead of hand sanitizing wipes (it will last longer anyways). Use surface and multipurpose cleaner rather than sanitizing wipes. As for makeup wipes, they are also nonbiodegradable, can contribute to sewer buildup and of course are single use only. Additionally, many makeup wipes can be damaging and stripping to your skin’s natural layers and barriers. Consider purchasing reusable cotton pads and cloths like the MakeUp Eraser towel.

Avoid Single Use Plastic 

This is a highly commonly heard eco-friendly action and it covers avoiding one of the primary contributors to waste worldwide. Something to consider is purchasing a set of different sized washable and reusable food/storage bags, politely declining utensils, napkins, straws etc. from restaurants, or when ordering takeout, and to stop buying bottled water, or drinks that are bottled or canned whenever possible. In addition, always make sure to recycle at home and when available in public. As a side note, investing in a quality water bottle deters the need for plastic!

Use Reusable Bags 

This one speaks for itself and using them helps make such a significant impact. Have some established sets of reusable bags within your household and keep a set in your car. This is such an easy way to cut down on needless plastic and paper bag use.

Eat Less Meat 

This might be an action you weren’t expecting, but in terms of the global population and overall demand for meat, as a whole, our combined modern consumption of meat and animal products is rampant. If the vast majority of people were to cut back on eating meat and incorporated more plant based foods into diets, based on the general principles of supply and demand people could all still eat meat more limitledly but sustainably so for the planet.

Shop Smarter 

In an era characterized by capitalism, it’s no surprise that many of us have fallen victim to the overstocking and excessive buying mentality. Food waste is an extreme contributor to collective global waste and the United States discards nearly 80 billion pounds of food every year, making it the prominent component of landfills all over the country. Americans have the tendency to overstock and overbuy which can result in excess food being wasted; Often, food passes its expiration date or it is never even prepared and consumed in the first place. Aim to be more methodical and plan oriented when shopping for groceries, only purchase food that is necessary for planned meals and in appropriate amounts and portions for yourself or household.

Do Your Research 

Building off of the idea of “Shopping Smarter” and not overbuying, take a hard, investigative look at all of the products that you consume and purchase in your life. Are the companies you tend to buy from eco-friendly? Are you truly aware of the ingredients and components that typical foods and products consist of? It may be worthwhile to alter some shopping habits and to opt for some better, environmentally friendly options, companies and brands.

Steer Clear of Fast Fashion 

For some context, here’s a helpful explanation of fast fashion and all it entails. Out of sheer affordability, availability and popularity many common clothing brands consist of fast fashion products and pieces. These pieces are easy and cheap to manufacture and in stores tend to be inexpensive but in the long run are of poorer quality contributing to the extreme waste of clothing year after year. Ways to avoid this include shopping second hand, rationalizing purchases and being more minimalistic with clothing needs and trying to buy clothes that are of better lasting quality.

At the end of the day, small changes from us all add up on a grand scale. 

Major: Psychology / Minor: Human Development & Family Studies Aspiring therapist and eventual clinical psychologist Quick facts: I'm originally from Colorado and am a fitness enthusiast, ecofeminist, I love the arts and enjoy cooking.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor